CHAPTER EIGHT

ISABELLE.

Sand between my toes as I walked bare foot across the beach, the only sound was waves crashing against the shore. It was peaceful here, and every morning after I woke, I would come down here and just walk, collecting a handful of shells each time.

It was the break the I needed.

Ashton was on my mind constantly, but with being here then I could at least think clearer, without worrying if I would run into him at the store or Parkers house.

Parker asked me not to go, but this is what I needed.

There was no return date yet, and I wasn't sure if there would be.

Mum on the other hand, was thrilled when I turned up on her doorstep with a suitcase. She hadn't any idea that I was pregnant until her eyes travelled down, and widened on the small bump poking through my black cotton top. That's when I had burst into tears, and told her everything.

The ring of my phone broke my daze as I ran my hand under the cool water, washing the sand away as I sat the shells to dry by the window sill. As I walked into the bedroom, it was Ashton's name on the caller ID.

I knew Parker would have told him. I answered. "Ashton."

"Is it true? You've left?" his voice frantic, rushed with a hint of anger.

This wasn't how I was going to tell him. Yes, I should have told him earlier, but I needed to wrap my head around all of this. "I'm staying with mum. It's-"

Cutting me of. "Are you coming back? Fuck Isabelle, are you saying that's it? That we're done."

"Calm down."

"Calm down?" he laughed bitterly, and it was the first time I had heard him so angry since I walked out. "How am I meant to react?"

With a roll of my eyes, I scoffed. "Are you kidding me? I'm at my mother's because you've hurt me. I needed to get away, I had to get away from all this stress and drama, I never said it was to get away from you." I pointed out. "It seems that you haven't learnt anything. Let me guess, you're having a pity party and drinking yourself into a state each day." I pointed out, not bothering to sugar coat this.

He was quiet a moment, which told me that it was true. "Belle. I need you."

"I know you do, and so do I." I said softly. "I'm not here to get away from you, I'm here to think about everything. To take time for myself." Something I have never done. "You have to understand that my heart is torn apart. You didn't believe me, Ashton. Everything I said to you, you didn't believe."

"I know. What do you want me to say? You were right? Fine. You were right, I was wrong. I've fucked up in parenting by raising a little conniving witch." He snapped back harshly. "But you're not letting me fix us, you just took off. Jesus, you've made it clear you want me to keep away."

I felt fresh tears spring to life as I laid back on the bed, swiping them away with my free hand. "I just need time."

His breath slowing as I heard a door close, and then his voice softer. I imagined he was in the bedroom. "Are we over? You're not coming home, are you?"

"I didn't say that." I whispered. "Maybe there is hope for us still. I don't know, I just need some time to think and be here with my mum."

"So, there's hope?" he asked.

"We've had eight years together. I don't want to throw that away." I didn't, because I loved him with my whole heart.

"I'll give you space, but not for too long. I'm going to fix everything. I'll give you everything you've ever wanted."