Ch 5

(AN: I want to say a huge huge thank you to oodles-of-nothing for my lovely cover. The girl in the middle is Brie's FC. And destielsdreamer for being so supportive of this. Thank you. All of you. So much. Thank you to everyone who's read this story thus far.)

A few days had gone by since Mick and I had started dating. He's typing up the report for the case he'd handled yesterday while I'm reading through a lore book across from him.

I glance up from the book when I feel someone's gaze on me. I lock eyes with Mick to find a dorky little smile on his face. I blush and tilt my head, "What's up with that smile?" I tease.

Mick chuckles. "I needed a break and I lost my train of thought so I figured I might as well admire the beautiful view I have instead."

"It's really not that beautiful. I don't have makeup on and my hair's a mess." I protest softly.

He shrugs. "No matter." he leans across his desk to kiss me. Our lips are inches apart when we hear heels clicking on the pathway at a rapid pace.

The heels reach Mick's office and Mick hums in thought. "It was probably just a shadow, Miss Ride."

"Damn. I figured if I had a black eye you and Ketch could admire my get it done attitude." I joke as I lean back slightly.

Mick smiles softly and looks up as if he had just noticed the owner of the heels. "Dr. Hess! What a pleasant surprise. How have you been?" he gets up, straightening his blazer as he does before heading over to the woman.

I close the lore book and stand up. "Thank you, Mick for clarifying that chapter on the Chupacabra." I smile slightly and nod at the older woman as I start to slip past her.

"Who is this?" Dr. Hess asks.

"Brianna Ride, ma'am." I shift the lore book in my arm so I can extend my hand to her and shake her hand.

"She's our new recruit." Mick explains as Dr. Hess looks at me distastefully.

"Mr. Davies I thought that we agreed that you would only recruit American hunters. The fact that this woman came to ask you about a whole chapter on a Chupacabra leads me to believe she isn't one." Hess looks at Mick.

"I'm a newer hunter. I've only been hunting for about a week. It's a complicated story." I quickly say, desperate to make Mick look better in front of this woman.

She turns to glare at me and I shrink away, realizing I'd spoken out of turn.

Mick shoots me a stern but thankful look. "Dr. Hess, she is a hunter. Granted, she is a novice. However, I see potential in this woman. I'd rather have her versed in our hunting ways than those of the American hunters. Brie has killed a crossroads demon on her own and assisted Mr. Ketch and myself in killing a demon that we had been tracking and couldn't exactly get."

"And who is mentoring her?" Dr. Hess inquires.

"I am. Mr. Ketch and Grace are helping on occasion but for the most part it's me."

She stays expressionless as Mick answers her question. "You do understand that if she fails, it will be on your head, correct?"

Mick looks over at me and nods. "I do. It's something that both Miss Ride and I are aware of and it's something I will proceed to undertake."

Dr. Hess nods. "This relationship is strictly professional?"

"Yes, Dr. Hess."

She seems slightly satisfied with this answer. "And how is the recruiting of the other American hunters going?"