Ch 13

Mick's PoV

 Hollow. That's the only way I can describe the way Brie's eyes look. Of course, no one is picking up on it because I'm the only one who can identify it. I'm one of the few who went through what she went through and it still haunts me. I still hear Timothy's screams every time I close my eyes and fall asleep. I've just gotten better at hiding it from Brie. But I'm pretty sure we're wide awake at the same time due to our nightmares.

 She'd been shaking last night. Maybe she was letting out quiet sobs. I figured it was best not to bring it up. In the morning she seemed alright. But then again, she's pretty convincing when she needs to be. Just last week she'd managed to act as bait for a vampire nest. She had me believing that she was just a girl who'd gotten lost and was looking for a place to stay. I wanted to wrap her up and protect her. That is, of course, until she took down the leader of the nest without batting an eye.

“You alright?” My fingers gently close around her shoulder as she packs. “You've had a rough past few days…”

 Brie nods listlessly. “Yeah.” She tugs the zipper closed on her bag. “Did you already change my file?” She asks softly and shyly.

 I nod. “Yeah, I did as soon as you asked me to.” I smile slightly.

 She relaxes a little as she stares at her hands. I know what she's doing. I've done it myself. She's justifying her actions. She's reasoning with herself about the life she'd taken. “There was no saving her.” Without another word she starts to lace up her Converse. Hess had nearly had a heart attack the first time Brie showed up to a meeting in the usual attire of the British Men of Letters with Converse on her feet. With some haggling, Hess relented.  

 “I know, Love. I know.” I gently say as I take Brie's bag and shoulder it. I shoulder my own bag and take her hand, lacing our fingers together.  “We don't want to keep our partners waiting…”

 “You're right.” She pulls me towards the door. Once we get to the car, she looks up at me and stand on tippy toes before giving me a light kiss.

 I can't help but melt at the motion. Her lips on mine somehow give me the strength to keep going.

Brie's PoV

 “Brie Ketch. British Men of Letters.” I smile a thin smile as I offer my hand to the man in the trench coat.

 “Castiel. Angel of the Lord.” He shakes my hand. I nod and let go of the angel’s hand.

 “Ketch? Are you married to him or something?” Dean raises an eyebrow.

 “I'm his sister, actually.” I look at the hunter.

 “Why didn't you mention this before?”

 “I didn't know…” I softly state as I look down.

 “How do you not know who your blood sibling is?” He snaps.

 Mick frowns. “Dean, they were separated once Brie was born. She's adopted. She didn't know nor did Mr. Ketch.” He places a hand on the small of my back.

 Savannah smiles as she pulls me into a hug. “It's good to see you again, Brie.”

 I smile slightly as I hug her back. “Likewise, Sav.”

 “So is Mick the one who…?” She trails off as she lets me go to look at me.

 I blush and nod. “He is.”

 Sav beams and gives me an approving nod. “He seems like a good guy.”

 I glance over at Mick. “He is.”

Without another word, we head into the motel where Savannah and the Winchesters are staying.

Mick's hand finds mine. “Is there something you'd like to tell me?” He whispers to me.

 “Sam Winchester has a thing for me? And has since the first case I worked with them?” I look at him.

 He nods and kisses the side of my head. “Does he know you're mine?”

 “I told him I'm taken and he backed off.” I look at Mick. Is that jealousy in his tone? I tilt my head slightly and smile.

 “Good. I don't want to have to do something that might sever the chances of getting American hunters on our side.”

 I nod softly. “Yeah or you know, acting rashly because of jealousy when there's really nothing to be concerned about.”

 The Brit’s cheeks flush briefly as he pulls out a chair for me. “So, what do we got here?”

Before the Winchesters can answer Mick's question there's a knock at the door and Sam's tablet chimes. He hurries to answers it, stepping into the adjoined room.