Chapter 14

(Here's another one for you, dear readers. It's a little short, though. Have a great day, y'all. Ciao!)

They both decided to wear unrelenting black – black to match the dark storm cloud hanging figuratively over Sandara’s head. Besides that, they were referencing on Shadowhunters who wear black especially when they are on the hunt. Makes blood splatters less obvious and Sandara was definitely out for blood.  

She finally settled on a raw silk shirt, skin-tight pants, classic leather motorcycle jacket and combat boots. Bom wore a mid thigh figure hugging dress over black sheer tights, stilettoed ankle booties.

She messaged Donghae telling him that she’ll drop by to take the offending note from him. She could have called but she was not in the mood to hear him tell her “I told you so” over the phone. Her coworkers were temporarily stunned at the sight of her storming into Donghae’s office. 

It was the first time for them to see her dressed like that with her face carefully made-up complete with the fiercest cat-eye. She didn’t look anything like the usually cute, regularly bubbly, occasionally cranky, bare-faced preppy Sandara that they were accustomed to. 

Minzy’s jaw dropped at the unexpected sight of her Unnie. She just nodded abstractly at Dara’s question, “Minzy-ah, is the boss in?”

Kwanghee who was getting a glass of drinking water from their doorway stopped and stared at the speeding Sandara. “Was that Sandara or does she have a dang-hot identical twin that we haven’t met yet?” he asked Minzy who just shrugged at him.

Donghae was already waiting for her, the note already placed front and center on top of his desk.

He smiled amusedly at her approach. “Finally found the guts, huh?” he told her. She just rolled her eyes at him took the note, uttered a hurried thank you and left. She didn’t take the bait. She was spoiling for a fight but not with him. Not today. 

As the door clicked shut behind her, the amusement left Donghae’s face and a bleak look took its place. He knew without asking where she was going. He intentionally challenged her last night to confront the guy. This was exactly the reaction that he was going for, for Sandara to finally face her demons so she can move on with her life unencumbered by her past. 

He knew the consequences of such actions. He knew that his chances of being with the girl he had come to love were going smaller and smaller by encouraging her to face the guy who hurt her in the past. Especially since the faceless guy seems to be in love with her still. 

But love is always a gamble and he was willing to risk it. Donghae knew that there is no space for new love in Sandara’s heart now. She is obviously still overly hung up on the past. Maybe by helping her declutter her past, he’d be able to make a space for himself inside her heart. 

For now, he’ll settle for being a friend. If he ends up with her it would be greater than great. If he ends up losing her to the other guy he’ll willingly accept defeat. He’d rather take his chances than push for a relationship with her now where he would always be playing second fiddle to a faceless phantom from her past.