Chapter 10: The Walls of Moria

The Fellowship followed as Gimli lead them to the entrance of the mines. Autheil walked beside Aragorn and behind them walked Legolas. Darkness began to creep in as they walked. Gimli came up and stopped "The walls of Moria." he said in awe and pointed his finger to the large base of the mountain.

They continued towards the mines "Dwarfs doors are invisible when closed." Gimli stated, banging his ax against the rock wall to prove his point.

"Yes, Master Gimli their own maters can not find them if their secrets are forgotten." Gandalf said.

"Why doesn't that surprise me?" Legolas said, causing Gimli to growl in irritation softly but earning a chuckle from Autheil in front of him.

When they reached the door Gandalf reached out his hand and traced over the pattern while muttering to himself. He then looked up at the moon, the clouds covering it moved away and the light shined on the door. The door began to shine and everyone looked at it in awe.

"It reads 'The doors of Durin. Lord of Moria. Speak friend and enter.' Gandalf translated.

"What do you suppose that means?" Merry asked from behind.

"It's quiet simple, if you are a friend you speak the password and the doors will open." Gandalf explained. He then began to say something in a different language. But nothing happened. Gandalf tried again but again nothing happened.

"Nothing's happening." Pippin said stating the obvious but drawing Legolas's attention. Legolas just shook his head and looked to see Gandalf trying to push the doors open with his shoulders.

Gandalf began to mumble about knowing every language to himself in frustration.

"What are you going do then?" Pippin asked him.

"Knock your head against them Perigrin Took! And if that doesn't work and I am allowed some peace and not stupid question, I am going to try to find the password." Gandalf became softer and the group left Gandalf to think in peace.

Autheil leaned against the base of the tree trunk watching the moon and the night sky. Legolas joined her but said nothing. She looked over at Aragorn and Sam who were sending away the pony. A bad feeling came upon Autheil as Merry and Pippin began through rocks into the water.

"Aragorn stop them." she said and immediately Aragorn's hand caught Pippin's.

"Do not disturb the water." he said and looked back over to Autheil. She stood up and stood next to him. "I have a bad feeling." she said. Legolas looked at her in curiosity being the only one besides Aragorn to understand what she said.

She and Aragorn studied the water carefully as the ripples from the rocks now growing into larger waves.

"It's a riddle. Speak friend and enter. What's the elvish word for friend?" Frodo asked. Gandalf spoke the word and the doors opened immediately. Everyone walked in quickly but Aragorn and Autheil watched the water until they were completely in the mine.

"Soon Mister and Misses Elf you will enjoy the fable hospitality if the dwarfs. Roaring fire, malt beer, ripe meat of the bone." Gimli said excitedly. "Jesh you sound like Ron always thinking of your stomach." Autheil said as she pulled her wand from her holster. "Lumos." a light shown from the tip of her wand.

"Here is the home of my cousin Balin. Unless I miss my guess were in for a wild night." he said excitedly. "And the call it a mine! A mine!" Autheil shined her light as did Gandalf who used a crystal that he placed on top of his staff. Autheil's breath hitched while Aragorn, Boromir, and Legolas looked around shocked at the dead dwarf corpses laying around them.

"This is no mind, it's a tomb." Boromir clarified.

"No..." Gimli said grievous and then ran to the closet body "No!" he shouted in disbelief.

Legolas pulled out one of the arrows and examined the arrowhead. "Goblins" he stated and then threw the arrow away, grabbing his own and loading it into his bow. Autheil put her wand away and pulled out her bow while Aragorn, Boromir and the hobbits pulled out their swords.

"We make for the Gap of Rohan. We should have never have come here. Now get out of here. Get out!" Boromir shouted.

Suddenly a long tentacle caught Frodo by the foot. Frodo the three other Hobbits called frantically as they tried to pull him from the strong grasp of the tentacle without prevail.

"Strider!" Sam called out to Aragorn before going an cutting off the tentacle that was wrapped around Frodo's ankle only for ten more to reappear and knock the group of Hobbits off their feet. The beast grabbed Frodo again and brought him over the water.

Frodo cried out for help as Boromir and Aragorn dashed into the water. Legolas and Autheil shot arrows at the tentacle holding Frodo but it had little effect in the creature. The monster surfaced and Legolas shot an arrow to it face make him wince a bit. The monster then opened his mouth to eat Frodo but Boromir sliced through one of the tentacles holding him at the same time Autheil shot an arrow at the monster's bottom lip. Aragorn sliced the other tentacle making the monster screech in pain and let Frodo go. Boromir caught Frodo in his arms as he fell and turned to run out of the water.

"Into the mines!" Gandalf shouted at them.

"Legolas!" Boromir shouted, Legolas aimed his arrow at one of the monster's eyes and Autheil did the same with the other, both hitting their marks.

"Into the caves." Aragorn yelled.

Legolas, Autheil, Boromir and Aragorn ran into the caves. Once inside Autheil pulled out her wand "Reducto!" she yelled loudly as the spell hit the monster forcefully but it also caused the monster to make the walls cave in. Autheil was slightly weakened by the spell and couldn't move fast enough to avoid the falling rocks. Legolas ran and pulled Autheil with him as they ran to the rest of the group to take cover.

They were engulfed by darkness and silence. All that could be heard was the heavy breathe of everyone. Legolas had his arms safely secured around Autheil, holding her tight against him as she caught her breath and regained her strength. "Are you alright?" he asked, Autheil nodded her head as she composed herself while Legolas's heart pounded against his chest.

"We have but one choice." Gandalf tapped his staff against the ground to brighten the light of the crystal. "We must face the long and dark of Moria. Be on your guard. There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world." he said and lead the way up the stairs. "Quite it is a four day journey to the other side. We must move swiftly like a river and hope our presence goes by unnoticed." Gandalf said as they began there journey. Everyone was on edge and Autheil still had that bad feeling in the pit of her stomach.