Chapter 29: Palantir

It was early morning when both Autheil and Legolas found themselves unable to sleep do to a certain uneasiness stirring around them. They both grabbed their cloaks and stood outside the Great Hall, gazing out at the plains and the sky while holding each others hand. Not to long later, Aragorn had come out of a smoke and spotted the two and walked over to them.

"The stairs are veiled." Autheil told him "Something stirs in the East."

Aragorn looked at her and then back out to the view "The eye of the enemy is moving." Legolas continued. A few seconds later a great darkness was felt by the two elves "He is here!" Legolas said first turning to them. "The Palantir!" Autheil said right after him.

The three friends sprinted into the Hall and down to the room where the others were stay in. they walked in on pippin on his back holding the flaming Palantir. Aragorn grabbed it from the hobbit only to fall backwards to the floor as Legolas caught him by the shoulders. The Palantir feel from Aragorn's hands and rolled passed Merry who yelled at it. Autheil quickly grabbed one of the blankets next to her and threw it on the evil object. It reminded her very much of the horcruxes she had hunted with Harry and Ron.

"Fool of a Took!" Gandalf said to a motionless Pippin. They all hurried over to the hobbit. Autheil looked to Aragorn in concern but he just nodded "I'm alright." he whispered quietly to her. Autheil nodded and looked back at Pippin who was now shivering in fear.

"Look at me." Gandalf said.

"Gandalf, forgive me." Pippin said weakly and closed his eyes again.

"Look at me. What did you see?" Gandlaf asked.

Pippin took a moment to reflect. "A tree...there was a white tree in a courtyard of stone. It was dead." Pippin said in horror and then looked back up at Gandalf "The city was burning." he informed them.

"Minas Tirith? Is that what you saw?" Gandalf questioned, trying to clarify the clues being given.

"I saw...I saw him." Pippin said in much fear "I could hear his voice in side my head."

"And what did he tell you? Speak!" Gandalf demanded making Pippin wince.

"He asked me my name, I didn't answer. He hurt me." Pippin said.

"What did you tell him about Frodo and the Ring?" Gandalf asked urgently.

"Nothing. Aragorn took the Palantir before anything else could happen." Pippin told them. Everyone in the room sighed in relief. Gandalf nodded and got up and left the room quickly.

Autheil looked after a Pippin until he had calmed down and fell back to sleep.

A couple hours later when the sun had risen, everyone was called to the throne room for a meeting. Around the fire stood Aragorn, Legolas, Autheil and Gimli. Across form them sat Pippin and at his side was Merry. To their left Théoden stood listening to Gandalf as he spoke from across him.

"There was no lie in Pippin's eye. A fool but a honest fool he remains. He told Sauron nothing of Frodo and the Ring. We've been strangely fortunate. Sauron moves to strike the city of Minas Tirith. His defeat at Helm's Deep showed are enemy one thing; he know the heir of Elendi has come forth." Gandalf explained to them and looked to Aragorn who looked a bit uneasy and in thought as Gandalf continued.

"Men are not as weak as he supposed. There is courage still. Strength perhaps enough to challenge him. Sauron fears this, he will not risk the people of Middle-Earth uniting under one banner. He will raze Minas Tirith to the ground before he sees a king return to the throne of men. If the beacons of Gondor are lite. Rohan must be ready for war."

"Tell me, why should we ride to the aide of those who did not come to ours?" Théoden said as Autheil rolled her eyes at the king. "What do we owe Gondor?" he asked. Autheil was ready to make a snarky but true comment until Aragorn spoke up.

"I will go." he offered.

"No." both Autheil and Gandalf told him.

"They must be warned." Aragorn argued.

"They will be." Gandalf said and walked closely to Aragorn.

"You must come to Minas Tirith by a different rode. Look to the black ships." Gandalf told him quietly but both Legolas and Autheil heard due to their Elf hearing.

Gandalf turned back to the others and said "Understand this; things are in motion that can not be undone. I ride for Minas Tirith." he then turned to pippin "And I won't be going alone."

Autheil and Legolas stood outside the great Hall as they watched Gandalf and Pippin gallop off to city of Gondor. Merry came up the steps looking slightly defeated.

"You need not worry Merry, you know Gandalf won't let anything happen to him." she said trying to cheer him up. Merry smiled at her and then walked into the Great Hall.

"Would you worry about me that much if it were me?" Legolas asked as he saw the fear in the young hobbit's eye. Autheil looked at her love. "No, I wouldn't need to." she said as Legolas looked at her confused "Because I'd be beside you no matter what." she told him with a smile. Legolas smiled at her and brought her in for a hug. They stood their in each others embrace as the wind blew through their hair, forgetting all the worries of what was to come.

The next few days were uneventful. The remainder of the fellowship occupied themselves with riding and battle practice expect for Autheil and Legolas who had their little dates away from everyone else. Autheil began to wonder if Gondor would send word or if they would arrive to late. Autheil, Legolas and Gimli were in the great Hall eating while Aragorn ate outside looking out for the beacons.

Aragorn busted through the door yelling "The beacons of Minas Trith! The beacons are lite! Gonodr calls for aid!" as he ran up to the King.

There was a utter silence among the room as they awaited the King's decision. Legolas and Autheil glared slightly at the man in thought.

"And Rohan will answer." Théoden announced. "Muster the Rohhirm." he ordered Éomer how bowed his head and headed off. Autheil and Legolas looked at each other silently and nodded. Both headed off to their shared room, changed back into their traveling clothes and gathered their supplies and weapons before they headed off to the stables to ready their steeds.

Autheil, Legolas and Aragorn leaded their horses out of the stable. Next to Aragorn Éwoyn made her way out with her horse.

"You ride with us?" Aragorn asked.

"Just to the encampment. It's tradition for the women of the court to farewell the men." she replied.

Aragorn's eye caught something that hid under her blanket. Aragorn lifted it to reveal a sword which Éwoyn quickly covered up and shot him a quick glare.

"The men have found their captain. They will follow you into battle even to death. You have given us hope." she said to him. Autheil smirked and climbed up onto her horse. Autheil looked at Aragorn who could feel her gaze. "What?" he asked. Autheil just gave him an 'Are you serious?' look.

"Oh, shut it." he replied in elvish probably because Éwoyn was still standing near them. Autheil rolled her eyes and galloped over to Legolas and Gimli sat awaiting them.