Chapter 30: Dunnhan

They arrived at Dunnhan and we greeted with soldiers already there setting up their tents to prepare for war the next day. We had six thousand soldiers standing with us but deep down everyone knew that it wasn't enough. Autheil and Legolas had an uneasy feeling as they walked hand in hand around the camp with Gimli and Legolas trailing behind them. Autheil and Legolas watched as the some men tried to restrain a worried horse. Autheil went up to the horse and calmed it "Easy, boy. No harm will come to you." she said in elvish and hushed the horse.

"The horses are restless and the men are quiet." Legolas noted.

"They grow nervous in the shadow of the mountain." Éomer explained as he looked back at the mountain. Autheil then joined them.

"That rode there, where does that lead?" Gimli asked as they all turned to look at the narrow path that lead in between the mountains.

"That is the road to the Dimholt, the door under the mountain." Legolas explained, confirming Autheil's suspicions as she felt a shiver go down her spine at his words.

"None who venture there ever return. That mountain is evil." Éomer said to them and walked away to finish unloading his horse.

Aragorn came up behind them and stared intensely at the path. Both Autheil and Legolas held each others' hand as they too saw a light green figure take form in the distance. With the other hand Autheil griped her wand on her waist. There concentration was suddenly broken when Gimli smacked both Legolas and Aragorn on the arm. Both men jumped a bit making Autheil do the same. "Let's find some food." Gimli said and started to walk off. Aragorn looked back to the mountain to see nothing on the path. He then shared a look with Aragorn as he too turned around to follow after Gimli. Autheil however continued to both stare at the path with a slight glare while gripping her wand.

Legolas took notice and turned her to face him.

"Hey." he said and placed his hand over the one that gripped her wand. Autheil came out of her trace and released her wand as Legolas took her hand and intertwined their fingers.

"You alright?" he asked softly.

Autheil nodded "Sorry." she said. Legolas smirked and then kissed her forehead in a loving manner. He then lent his forehead against hers as they both took in deep breathes before the walked off to join the others.

The night of the eve of battle came as Gimli, Aragorn, Legolas and Autheil sat around the campfire with some of the other men.

The men ate while Autheil cleaned her weapons.

Suddenly Merry comes out of the tent dressed in armor while swinging his sword around in practice. Éwoyn followed behind smiling in amusement as she watched Merry.

"To the smitty. Go!" she pushed him along

"You should not encourage him." Éomer scolded her.

"And you should not doubt him." she told him.

"I do not doubt his heart only the reach of his arm." Éomer joked earning a soft chuckle from his men.

"And why should Merry be left behind. He has as much cause to go to war as you. Why can he not fight for those he loves?" she asked.

Éomer stood and turned to his sister. "You know as little of war just as much as that Hobbit. When the fear takes him and the blood and the screams and the horror of battle take hold, do you think he will stand and fight? He would flee and he would be right to do so. War is the Provence of men Éwoyn." He told her "Women do not belong in it." he said.

Autheil rolled her eyes and she finished sharpening her twin blades. "Quit trying to scare her to death Éomer." Autheil said as she examined her blades, running her fingers on the edge.