Chapter 22: Warg Attack

The journey continued until the next day as they walked and rode onwards to Helm's Deep. Legolas and Autheil stood behind Aragorn and Éwoyn who lead their horses by the reins as they walked.

"Where is she? The women who gave you that jewel." Autheil heard Éwoyn asked Aragorn who didn't reply right away. Autheil thought of her sister, her brothers and father. She wondered what they were doing but most of all if they were safe. Legolas could sense her uneasiness and grabbed her hand. Autheil smiled back at him and continued walking.

"She is sailing to the Undying Lands with all that is left of her kin." Aragorn said sadly as he thought of Arwen. Aragorn looked back at Autheil who offered him a small smile. Autheil knew that Arwen would wait for Aragorn but she didn't know if she could withstand her father's constant pressure of leaving.

Autheil's train of thought was broken when both she and Legolas heard a faint noise in the distance. Autheil handed her horse off to Aragorn while Legolas handed his to Gimli.

They walked jogged up to a cliff in front of the refugees. "I think somethings watching us." Autheil said quietly. "I think so too but I don't know what it is." Legolas replied as they both looked around at their surroundings.

Hama and Gambling rode past them on their horses to make sure the road was clear. Not ten seconds after they passed their was a screech and the sound of clashing swords were heard by Legolas and Autheil. They ran to the top of the next cliff over where Hama and Gambling were. Hama was dead and Gambling was fighting a Orc seated on a Warg.

Autheil and Legolas notched a arrow in their bows and let them fly. Autheil killed the rider and Legolas the warg. Suddenly a second rider and warg appeared. Autheil shot the warg straight through the head, sending the orc to the ground. Legolas ran towards the orc, dagger in hand. He he slit his throat, killing it instantly.

Aragorn was now next to Autheil on top of the cliff, looking at what had happened. Legolas looked up in disgust "A scout!" Legolas yelled to Aragorn and kicked the horrid creature away from him. Aragorn ran back to tell the king"Aragorn grab my horse." Autheil ordered while she joined Legolas on the edge of a cliff where he watched the orcs ride over the plains. They both stood their watching intensly until the orcs were in range. Legolas grabbed Autheil by the waist and kissed her. "Be careful." he ordered. "You too." she said and turned he attention back to the enemy arriving swiftly.

They both notched arrows into their bow and shot down the wargs running down the hill. The number of Orcs and Wargs weren't large but they were still dangerous nonetheless. After Autheil's forth kill she turned to her horse galloping to her "Maethor!" she called out. Aragorn let the horse go as galloped towards his master. Autheil turned back and killed two more wargs before she turned around just in time to see her horse along with the rest of Théoden's company charging forward. Both Autheil and Legolas swung themselves on to their horses. Autheil grabbed the reins of Maethor and leaned over so she could hear him. "Be brave Maethor. I'm going to shoot the warg in front of us, I need you to jump over it so I can kill the Orc." Autheil said, getting a neigh in response.

"Charge!" Théoden yelled. Autheil shot down two more wargs heading for the king and Aragorn.

The men and Orcs crashed head on. Autheil killed the Warg charging her by shooting it in the head. Maethor then jumped over the dead warg as Autheil pulled out her knife from her back and swung it at the Orc's neck, killing him instantly. "Good boy." Autheil said to her horse when they hit the ground. Autheil turned and saw Gimli fall of Arod even thought Legolas was still on. Gimli got up off the ground and saw a warg get his attention. "Bring your pretty face to my ax." Gimli said but both Autheil and Legolas shot the warg.

Legolas looked to see who had shot the other arrow. "I got it first." Autheil yelled to him.

"Doesn't matter because that one counts as mine!" Gimli yelled. Both elves returned to the battle going on around them. Autheil went after a few wargs trying to get away, shooting them down. She then made way back to where Gimli once was. She looked around and saw a Warg running after King Théoden who had his backed turned as he was fighting off an Orc. "My Lord!" she yelled but he didn't hear her. Autheil rode as fast as she could and shot arrow at the warg killing it and then another arrow at the rider he was fighting off.

Théoden turned to see who aided him and saw Autheil. Autheil bowed her head in acknowledgment and returned to the fight. Autheil looked around and saw Legolas was doing fine, Aragorn was just knocked off his horse by a warg. Autheil shot down the warg and saw Aragorn stand back up, looking fine.

Autheil then looked for Gimli, she found after a few moments, under two dead wargs and a dead orc. "Gimli." she called out as she got off her horse. "Give a dwarf a hand would you?" Gimli asked. Autheil whiped out her wand and lifted the dead creatures of the dwarf as fast as she could while throwing hexes and stunners at anything that tried to attack them. Autheil grabbed Gimli's hand and pulled him up. "You alright?" she asked. Gimli nodded and pulled his ax out of the head of a dead warg.

The battle was over and the rest of the wargs were dead, along with their riders. Autheil looked around and saw her blond haired elf, searching for her. They jogged towards each other and fell into each other's arms. Legolas kissed her temple. "Are you alright?" he asked. "I'm fine. What about you?" she asked. Legolas nodded and pulled away and clasped her hand. They began to look around to make sure their friends were fine. They found everyone expect for Aragorn. Their hearts began to worry as the y couldn't find the Ranger anywhere. "Aragorn!" Legolas called out but there was nothing. Autheil squeezed Legolas's hand as they began to walk around. "Aragorn?" Gimli called out again but still nothing. Théoden searched frantically for the Ranger, turning his head in every direction. Autheil and Legolas walked up the cliff a bit looking around.

They then heard the evil crackling laughing, Gimli sneered and placed his ax over the dying orc. "Tell me what happened and I will ease your passing." Gimli promised. Autheil and Legolas stood at his side.

Autheil drew her dagger. "He's...dead." the orc said with a cough "Took a little tumble off the cliff." he told them. Anger burned in Autheil's heart.

She got down on her knee placing her dagger against the orcs throat. "Tell us the truth, you lying, rotten piece of scum!" she shouted while sneering at the Orc. The orc chocked on his own blood and died. Autheil in raged stabbed the dead orc in the heart and walked over to the cliff.

Théoden was already standing there in search of Aragorn. Autheil saw his clock caught on to a rock. Autheil began to remove her stuff in effort to jump in but Legolas stopped her. "It's not him." he told her.

"How do you know?" she asked bitterly as tears started to appear. Autheil knew it wasn't him but she wanted to hope it was, a hope that he was still alive.

Autheil sighed and fell to her knees "This wasn't how it was supposed to happen. This isn't how it was suppose to end." she whispered. "What am I going to tell Arwen? I was supposed to watch out for him, how am I going to tell her this?" she asked no one in particular.

Théoden placed a comforting hand on Autheil's shoulder. Legolas pocketed the Aragorn's pendant, thinking that it was not the best time to give it to Autheil. Legolas knelt beside Autheil and wrapped her in his arms. Autheil hid her face in his chest while she let silent tears fall.

"Get the wounded on horses. The wolves of Isengard will return. Leave the dead. " Théoden ordered Gambling. Legolas looked up at Théoden in slight disbelief. "Come." Théoden said quietly and then left to tend to the others. They looked down at the water in dismay. Autheil wiped her face and stood up. Legolas helped her as he stood up with her, not saying a word. "We have to help the others. Let us hope another attack doesn't comes." she said. Legolas and Gimli both nodded and looked at the rushing river one more time. Autheil accio Aragorn cloak and stuffed it in her bag. She then looked to where the river lead "Please come back to us. We still need you, brother." Autheil then left to help tend to the wounded, healing the injuries she could before she mounted her horse with the others and started off for Helm's Deep again.