Chapter 26: Victory and it's Pain

"The fortess is taken. It is over." Théoden told them. Autheil rolled her eyes "With all do respect My Lord don't make me slap you too." Autheil said to the King who looked puzzled at her statement but Legolas chuckles as he and Aragorn picked up the table to help baracade the door. "That's right, you said this fortress will never fall while your men defend it." he said and then dropped his end of the table to walk towards Théoden, making Legolas feel unbalenced as he held the table.

"Aragorn!" Autheil grumbled at his action but went and helped a struggling Legolas lift the table.

Aragorn ignored Autheil and continued talking with the King "They still defend it. They have died defending it."

"Is there no other way for the women and children to get out of the caves?" Aragorn asked as the men continued to turn the tables over. Autheil came and stood by Aragorn's side "Is there no other way?" Aragorn repeated but the King remained silent.

"There is one passage, it leads into the mountains but they will not get far the Uruk-hai are to many." Gambling spoke up.

"Maybe they can." Autheil spoke up, drawing attention. "Before the battle I placed a protection spell around the entrance so that no Orc could get through. I then placed a concealment spell so the entrance looks like a wall. It will buy them time. You won't be able to find it easily because of the spell so instead I could send my patrouns" Autheil suggested earning her confused glances. She had forgotten they don't understand magic.

"It a bright light that takes the form of an animal, it's used to help send messages." she explained quickly.

"Do it." Aragorn urged her. Autheil nodded and pulled out her wand. Autheil summoned on her happiest memory which happened to be the morning they had to leave Edoras, she had woken up in Legolas's arms completely refreshed. She remembered how peaceful and handsome he looked as he slept. Suddenly a white light came from her wand and formed a panther. Autheil was confused for a second but continued.

"Go into the caves and find Éwoyn tell her that all the women and children need to quickly make for the mountain pass until they hear from us if they don't they need to keep going." she told the patronus. The white panther nodded and ran off towards the caves. The other's stood in amazement around her.

Legolas could feel her confusion and wonder as she watched the patoum leave.

"What is it?" he asked her, she shook her head "Nothing, it's just the animal changed, before it was an otter and now it's a panther. I wonder why?" she said.

The banging of the door brought them all back into reality.

Autheil turned to Aragorn "Ok now what?" she asked.

The King finally spoke up "So much death. What can men do against such reckless hate?" he asked. Autheil rolled her eyes.

"Ride out with me." Aragorn said queitly before Autheil could say anything. "Ride out and meet them." he said to the King.

"For death and glory." Théoden said.

"For Rohan. For your people." Aragorn told him.

"The sun is rising." Gimli told them. They all turned to the window where they could see the sun start to shine through the window, Gandalf's words then echoed in their minds "Look to my coming at first light on the fifth day. At dawn, look to the East."

"Yes." the king said firmly. "The Horn of Helm Hammerhand shall sound in the Deep one last time." the King stated.

"Yes!" Gimli said and ran out to find the horn.

Autheil whistled loudly and muttered in elvish, summoning the horses.

Théoden placed a hand on aragorn's shoulder. "Let this be the hour when we draw swords together." he told Aragorn.