Chapter 33: Decision

"Frodo has past beyond my sight." Gandalf said.

Autheil sighed loudly "Mine too. The darkness of Mordor is too great for us to see into it." she explains to the others. Legolas stands beside Autheil and grabs her hand, reassuring her that it was okay.

"If Sauron had the Ring we would know it." Aragorn stated his back turned to the others.

"It's only a matter of time. He suffered the defeat, yes but behind the walls of Mordor our enemy is regrouping." Gandalf informs them.

"Let him stay there. Let him rot! Why should we care?" Gimli asks from the late Steward's chair as he smoked his pipe.

"Oh yeah, Gimli, let's let him regroup and there will be another attack on Middle-Earth within the month." Autheil stated.

"That and because then thousand orcs now stand between Frodo and Mount Doom." Gandalf told him. Gimli quickly shut up and was sent into thought.

"I've sent him to his death." Gandalf whispered to himself.

"No there's still hope for Frodo." Aragorn said. "He needs time and safe passage through the land, we can give him that."

Everyone gave Aragorn a confused look. "How?" Gimli asked, voicing the question on everyone's mind.

"Draw out Sauron's army. Empty his land by gathering our full strength and march upon the Black Gate." Aragorn explained.

Gimli then started choking on smoke. Autheil rolled her eyes but tapped her friend on the back.

"We can not achieve victory through strength of arms." Éomer stepped forward.

"Not for ourselves but we can give Frodo his chance if we can keep Sauron's Eye fixed on us. Keep him blind to all else that moves." Aragorn told them.

"A diversion." Legoals said in understanding.

"Of course." Autheil said toherself.

"Certainty of death. Small chance of success, what are we waiting for?" Gimli said pipe in his mouth.

"Sauron will suspect a trap. He will not take the bait." Gandalf told Aragorn. Aragorn gave the wizard a small smile "No, I think he will." he said. Autheil didn't like one bit the smile on her brother's face because it was a smile that said that he was up to no good.

The meeting was dismissed and Autheil immediately went to Aragorn to see what his plan was. After Aragorn explained that later in the evening he would confront the Palantir they left to make preparations for war the next day.

Evening came and the throne room was empty except for a Autheil who sat in the shadows of the room waiting Aragorn's arrival. Autheil knew Aragorn had to face Sauron alone but she would just make sure he was okay.

Aragorn soon walked into the room and headed straight for the evil ball. Aragorn knelt down and opened the cloth. He flinched away at first but took the Palantir in his hand and raised it to his face and looked at it.

"Long have you hunted me. Long have I endured you. No more." he growled and the brought his sword up "Behold the sword of Elendi." he said.

Just then the image on the Palantir changed from when Isildur cut off Sauron's hand to a beautiful but deadly pale Arwen who laid unmoving. In horror Aragorn dropped the Palantir and stumbled back a bit.

Autheil watched as her sister's necklace was about to hit the ground but Autheil cast accio on the necklace. Aragorn's tensed eyes look into the darkness as Autheil walked forward in silence.