Chapter Thirteen

Elizabeth...

"Get back here J!" I hear a woman yell. Something hits my legs and I look down.
"Sorry Ms..." A little boy says backing away from he. His vibrant blue eyes stare up at me as he holds his hands behind his back.
"Jah I've told you about running away from me like that." The lady who I assume to be his mother scolds the small boy.

"Sorry mommy." He says as his eyes begin to water. I smile lightly and look up at the woman.
"He's fine." I say softly. She smiles and grabs his hand.
"He's a handful at times." She laughs lightly and I join in.
"He's beautiful." I say as he goes to hide behind his mothers leg. "How old is he?" I question.

"Four. I had him when I was eighteen. Delayed me from going to college but I don't regret having him or any moment spent with him." She smiles rubbing his black curls. He looks up at me with his beautiful eyes. I examine his face noticing the small freckles that danced across it.
"Elizabeth? I've found the creamer. Did you want the red one or the purple one?" Jamil asks coming around the corner.

The girls face reddens as she clears her throat and grabs the little boys hand.
"Come on Jah time to go." She says making Jamil look up from the labels on the cartons. His eyes squint a bit as he looks over at the woman.
"Gina?" He asks, a smile playing on his lips. I furrow my brows and look between the two. My eyes land back on the little boy as the gears in my head start to turn.

"Hello Jamil." She says avoiding his eyes.
"I haven't seen you in forever!" He says excitedly. She giggles as her face reddens once more.
"I've been dealing with things..." She trails off. I stare harder at the little boy as he stares up at me.
"What's his name?" I ask gathering their attention.
"What?" Jamil says looking down and finally noticing the small boy.

"His name? What is it?" I ask again and she fumbles with her hair.
"Jah... Jamil." She says quietly as Jamil snaps his eyes from the boy and back up to her.
"He, he looks just like me Elizabeth." Jamil whispers looking over at me. I look up at Gina and she bites her bottom lip nervously.

"He's your son." She says, her voice shaky. Jamil stares at the boy once more making him hide further behind his mother.
"That's my daddy, mommy?" Little guy asks.
"I-I don't have any kids Elizabeth! I don't..." Jamil says grabbing my arm and pulling me away. Gina clears her throat and quickly grabs her basket from the ground.

"I'm sorry... I shouldn't have said anything." She says quietly.
"Wait!" I call out to her. She ignores me she keeps walking. "Jamil how can you deny that child! He looks just like you!" I scold him before running after Gina. I catch up to her and grab her arm making her turn around.
"Please... don't just walk away like this. I'm pretty sure this little boy would love to get to know his father. Jamil... he's just-"
"I know." She cuts me off.
"Come over for dinner... lets sort things out."
...

Jamil...

"How old are you?" The little boy asks me as he sits next to me on the couch.
"Twenty-two." I reply softly and he smiles making me notice his missing front tooth.
"I'm this many." He says holding up four fingers. I smile a little and look away from him. "So you're really my daddy?" He asks climbing onto my lap. I stiffen up and stare into his eyes that were exactly identical to mine. I blink a few times as he tilts his head to the side staring at me.
"Yes." I say and he nods slowly.

"Here Jah." Gina calls out handing him a cup. He goes to drink from it but twists up his face.
"Mommy, you know I don't like ice in my cup." He pouts making her sigh.
"You just can't take it J? It tastes the!same." She says. He shakes his head and tosses the cup to the floor.
"It does not! I want no ice!" He screams as he begins to cry.
"Remind you of someone Jamil?" My head snaps to the side as I try to locate my mother.

I clench my jaw as Gina gasps.
"Jamil! Why would you do that?!" She squeals. I clear my throat and stand from the couch.
"He's alright. I-I'll clean it up and get him another drink." I mumble as I avoid her eyes.
"Thank you Jamil." She says softly. I retrieve some paper towels from the kitchen and clean up his mess.

As I'm cleaning I see two little socked feet stand in front of me. I look up into his face and he looks like he's examining me hard.
"We have the same thing up here." He says tapping his head. I furrow my brows and kneel in front of him.
"What do you mean J?" I say, my voice raspy.
"Our brains! Me and you are the same! Mommy says that's where I get my sick from! You!" He says with wide eyes.

I clear my throat and look away from him.
"There's nothing wrong with us." I mumble as I continue to scrub the spot. He sighs and sits on the floor next to me.
"I wish that was true daddy... people at my school don't like me because I'm different." He says softly. I glance over at him and we stare at each other in silence.

A smile slowly creeps across his little lips making dimples appear in his cheeks.
"You blinked!" He exclaims before letting out a giggle. I smile and blush looking down at the floor. I feel a tap on my shoulder and look up.
"Gina wants to talk to you..." Elizabeth says softly. I nod and hesitantly stand from the floor.

"Y-yes?" I ask turning the corner into the kitchen. Gina jumps a bit and I rub the back of my neck nervously. "I'm sorry." I apologize and she shakes her head.
"You're fine..." She trails off.
"What did you want?" I ask looking up at her.
"You don't have to do it if you don't want to." She says making my brows knit together.

"Do what?" I ask walking closer to her. She licks her lips and shifts as I get in front of her.
"Be in his life..." She whispers and I grip her waist.
"But... I want to." I say staring at her.
"You do?" She asks looking up at me." I nod and remove her hair from her face. "Gosh you haven't changed a bit." She blushes as my hand cups her face. "Still such a sweetheart... that was something I always loved about you." She smiles to herself.
"Can he stay?" I ask. She looks at me confused before she speaks.
"Huh?"
"Stay with me for the night, can he?" I ask and she looks taken aback.
"You sure?" She questions and I give her a nod. "Sure yeah... that'd be fine." She confirms making me smile again.
______________________
Comment/Vote 💕