Chapter Sixteen

Jamil...

I bite my knuckles as I pace back and forth. I stare at her pale body that was wrapped between the sheets.
"Elizabeth will be home soon. She can't see you." I say before ripping the sheet off of the bed and laying it perfectly on the floor. I pick her up and lay her cold body at the corner of it before rolling her in the sheet. Once she's wrapped I make my way towards my bedroom door. Half way down the hallway I freeze when I hear the front door open and close.
"Jamil? Baby I'm back." I can hear the smile in her voice. I panic and attempt to run back to my room. I trip and fall evoking a loud thud when I drop Katana's body. "Everything okay?" She asks as she comes up the stairs. I hurry and swoop her body from the ground and stumble into the room.

"What did I do?!" I whisper to myself as I force the bathroom door open. I rip the glass shower door open and place Katana on the shower floor. I slam it closed just as Elizabeth peaks her head in.
"Jamil you alright? You look flushed." She says making her way over to me. A few tears slip down my cheeks and she frowns. Her thumbs stroke my cheeks, clearing them of the salty drops. "Tell me what's wrong." She says after she's pulled me down, planing my face in her neck. My hands grip her waist and I squeeze her tight.
"We haven't gone to see Momma in a while." I lie and she hugs me tighter.
"I know I've been so busy! Do you want to go today? I'm free." She says softly and I pull away and nod.

"Where's Jr?" She asks and I lick my lips before giving her a answer.
"He's still sleep. He's been sick for a few days... I have to drop him back off to his mother later on." I say as I attempt to pull us from the bathroom.
"It smells weird in here Jamil. It's time to do your laundry." Elizabeth says scrunching up her face. I swallow the lump in my throat and nod. I pick up the hamper that was indeed full of clothes but this wasn't where that smell was coming from. "You know it's be easier if you'd let me do all of the laundry at once." She voices as she follows behind me.
"You don't fold the clothes right." I say softly as I enter the laundry room. I place the basket on top of the dryer before pulling the washer open. I dump my my clothes on top of the dryer before separating the shirts, pants, briefs and socks.

"You're so picky." She giggles as I throw all of my shirts in. I glance back at her and clench my jaw as I grasp the sensitive skin laundry soap.
"I'm not." I spit under my breath causing her to frown. Her hand touches the bottom of my back making me tense.
"You're so tense and snappy this morning..." She says lowly and I slam the washer shut.
"Move." I blurt and push her away from me. Her mouth opens and closes quickly.
"I'm not dealing with your childish attitude today. Let me know when you're ready to go." She says sassily before strutting out of the room. I start the washer before departing from the room also.

I make my way up to JJ's room and push his door open. He lays staring at the ceiling and I slowly make my way over to him.
"You alright?" I ask softly before kneeling down at his sports car bed. He continues to stare, not giving me a response. I place my hand on his forehead and swipe his curls away. I  go to touch his cheek and he starts screaming as his small hands grip my arm tightly. My heart beats wildly as I start to panic; his actions reminding me of how I would act as a child. "Shh... sh..." I say but he only begins to thrash around the bed. "Shit!" I hiss when his teeth sink into my hand.
"What the hell is going on?!" Elizabeth says as she comes through the door.

"He-he must've had a bad dream." I state as I finally get my hand from in his mouth. He stops screaming and shaking and lays flat against the bed. He brings his eyes over to mine and starts crying. "You okay now...?" I ask softly but he remains mute. I pick him up and hug him close to my chest.
"She's dead daddy." He says and I snap my eyes up to Elizabeth's. Furrowing her brows she walks closer to us.
"Who's dead Jr?" She asks but before he can reply I speak up.
"It was just a dream..." I whisper to him and he wraps his arms tighter around my neck as I rub his back.
"Daddy you did it." He whispers against my neck, only loud enough for me to hear. I swallow the lump in my throat and clench my eyes shut as I drop my face into his hair.
...

"He's been shaky all day... he had a episode this morning..." I say as I pass him over to Gina. She frowns as he lays his head on her shoulder. "He said that someone d-died." I say lowly and she sighs.
"It's not the first time he's said things like that. Don't be to worried about it Jamil. Thank you for bringing him here. Really saved me a bunch of time. She says and I nod.
"No problem Gina... I'll text you Friday for him." I say before we say our goodbyes and I'm on my way.
"Wait Jamil!" She calls out behind me and I swivel around.
"Yeah?" I ask with furrowed brows.
"Do you have his tiger? You know he'll go absolutely insane with out it." She giggles.
"Um... let me check the car." I say and she nods.

I jog over to the car and pull the back door open. I look in the booster seat before looking around the floor.
"What are you looking for?" Elizabeth asks from the drivers seat.
"JJ's tiger... got it." I say and retrieve it from beneath the seat. I pull my body out and close the door and make my way back over to a waiting Gina. "Here..." I mumble as I avoid her eyes. She giggles making me blush and grips the stuffed toy.
"Thank you." She voices softly. JJ peaks at me through his curls and smiles.
"Bye daddy love you." He says and I blush harder.
"Bye Junior. See you Friday. I love you." I say before leaning in to kiss his soft cheek. He sits up, his light brown curls bouncing, and waves. My heart warms and I hurry to leave.
...

"Thank you for taking me..." I mumble to Elizabeth as we pull into our driveway. She cuts the engine and looks over at me.
"No problem." She stares softly and unbuckles herself. We had just got done visiting my mom and now I was ready to find a way to get rid of Katana's body. We get into the house and I make my way to the kitchen. I pull a water bottle from the fridge and twist the cap open before taking a few sips. "I'm going to shower." Elizabeth announces and I nod. She makes her way upstairs as I sit at the island pondering. I begin to collect some cleaning supplies because now would be the best time to get her body out. "Jamil I think I left my soap in your bathroom I'm gonna go check." Elizabeth calls out from the top of the stairs. My heart pounds in my ears as my eyes widen. I quickly dart up the stairs but I know it's to late when I hear her scream. I get to the bathroom to see her staring in horror at Katana's motionless body.
"Elizabeth... I-I can explain..." I whisper drawing closer to her scared frame.
______________________
:) comment/vote 💚