Chapter Twenty-Four

Jamil...

I adjust Niylah in my arms as I knock on the door for the thousandth time. I sigh roughly and twist the door handle, surprisingly the door opens.
"Elizabeth?" I call out and step into the house but hear nothing. I furrow my brows and set my daughter down. She runs off into the silent house and I look around cautiously. "Elizabeth?" I say again and walk into the living room. Everything was clean and nothing was out of the ordinary. She had to be here though, her car was parked in the driveway but why wasn't she answering?
"Daddy." Niy says catching my attention. I turn towards her to see her motioning for me to pick her up. I swoop her little body from the ground and continue looking around the house. I check the kitchen but nothing, bathrooms, nothing, I finally get to her room and push the door open.
"What the hell?" I mumble as I look around. Her room was cleared of everything, only a naked bed laid against the wall.

My heart begins to slam in my chest as I set Niylah down once more and frantically search around the room. I shove the bathroom door open and spot something on the counter. My eyes begin to well with tears and my throat tightens as I pick up the piece of paper and my eyes scan over it.
"No... no..." I mumble to myself as I begin to crumple the paper. "Why?!" I shout angrily and throw the paper to the floor.
"Mommy's not here daddy." Niy says an I shove my face in my hands.
"Why Elizabeth?" I whisper and I feel small arms wrap around my legs. I look down into her crying face and quickly straighten myself. "Don't cry baby..." I say softly and hug her small body against me. She hides her face in my neck and continues to cry as I try my best to comfort her.
...

"Well who's this?" Mrs. Riley asks as she bends down to Niylah's level.
"My daughter... there's no one to watch her today so I brought her with me..." I say shyly and she smiles up at me.
"She looks just like you! She's absolutely beautiful." She voices as she stands back up. I thank her before shrugging off my jacket and hang it up on the coat rack that sat in the corner of the room. After about twenty minutes kids start to file into the room and they stare at Niylah.
"Mr. Brown... who's that?" A not named Kane asks and I look down at him.
"My daughter. She's just visiting." I tell him and he smiles up at me.
"She's pretty!" He says and I raise my brows.
"Go finish your work sheet." I say to him and he runs off. Time passes and it was nearing the time for kids to go home. A squeal sounds from behind me making me turn around.

 Niylah runs through the classroom with a boy her age close behind

Niylah runs through the classroom with a boy her age close behind. I watch on as they plop onto the bean bags. He embraces her in a hug making her giggle and I clench my jaw and make my way over to them.
"Nih! Time to get ready to go baby girl." I say and she quickly makes her way over to me. I pick her up and squint my eyes at the small boy before beginning to gather our things. After I've picked up the classroom and kids began to get picked up, I say my goodbyes and we make our way out.
"Daddy I hungry." She says as I strap her in the car. I kiss her forehead and look at her with a smile.
"We'll stop to get to something to eat on the way home." I say and kiss her soft cheek before slipping out of the back and making my way to the front seat. I push the button to start the car and pull off. Soft music plays through the car as I cruise down the highway. I see a Wendy's as I turn off of it and decide that I'd stop there for something to eat. I pull into the drivethru and scan over the menu before I hear a voice.

"Welcome to Wendy's how can I help you?" A males voice asks and I tell him my order. "Okay pull up to the second window." He says and I do as told. I wait a few minutes and the widow door slides open and the man tells me the total. I give him my credit card and he slides it before handing it back to me. A few more minutes go by before he hands me the food and we're on our way.
"Daddy! Hungry!" Niylah yells at me as she eyes the bag from her seat.
"We're almost home lovebug, daddy doesn't want you eating on the car. It gets to messy." I say and she starts to cry. I sigh and shove one of my hands into the bag. I pull out a few fries and extend my hand back to her. I feel her small hands struggle to wrap around the fries and chuckle when she finally manages to get a hold of them. Niylah is quiet the rest of the way making me cheer to myself in my head.
...

Gina...

As I stir the pasta in the pot I look over into the living room and smile when I see Jamil and Niylah on the couch

As I stir the pasta in the pot I look over into the living room and smile when I see Jamil and Niylah on the couch. She jumped into his lap and puts her plastic cup up to his lips, pretending to make him drink her drink. He laughs and playfully sips at the empty cup. Jamil hadn't told me anything about Elizabeth but seeing him carry in many of Niy's things told me there was nothing good about the situation. Jamil lays back, obviously exhausted and continues to watch her play. He joins in, lazily following her requests.
"Gina's almost done with the food, lets clean this up boo boo." He says in his tired raspy voice. She obeys him and begins placing all of her little toys into the pink bin.

"Five five!" He says excitedly and she giggles as she high fives him

"Five five!" He says excitedly and she giggles as she high fives him. He stands from the couch, grabs her and carries her small body up the steps. Soon he emerges with both of his children in his arms and brings them into the kitchen. I turn the stove off and stir the pasta once more before beginning to fill bowls.
"Hot!" Niylah squeals after she's stuck her finger in the food. Jamil quickly jumps from the couch and snatches the rag that was hanging on the stove. He drenches it in cold water before placing it on her hand. I laugh lightly to myself and take my seat.
"Jamil... what's the deal with Elizabeth?" I ask and he looks over at me.
"She's not coming back." He says softly and I frown deeply. "She wrote a note... she says that she can't live knowing she's given birth to a baby of a murderer." He whispers and slowly makes his way back to his seat. My heart aches as I watch him begin to play with his food. I knew he wasn't going to eat now that I've brought the subject up. "It's okay though... as long as she didn't take her from me I'm fine. I'm going to head to bed Gina. I love you." He says and stands from his seat and slips from the kitchen.
"I love you..." I whisper as I hear him make his way up the steps.
"Elizabeth said the same thing." I hear him mumble and my eyes burn with tears and my teeth bite into my bottom lip.
_________________________
Comment/vote💜💕💜💕💜💕💜💕