Chapter Twenty

Jamil...

"What about sunrise? What about rain? What about all the things you said we were to gain?" I sung softly as I glide the paint brush across the small canvas. "What about killing fields? Is there a time? What about all the things that you said were yours and mine?" I continue and dip the brush into a deep red. "Did you ever stop to notice, all the blood we've shed before?"
"Jamil." I hear someone call or behind me.
"Yes Donna?" I ask looking over my shoulder.
"It's time for dinner, come down to the cafeteria." She says and I drop the brush on a paper towel. I stand from my seat at my desk and make my way over to my slippers.
"Okay, I have to wash my hands first then I'll be down." I say and she nods before exiting the room.

I pull the paint ridden shirt off of me and slip on a new one. After I've don't that I make my way into the hallway and head to one of the bathrooms. I quickly wash my hands and go down to the cafe. Everyone was grabbing their bowls and taking seats and I slowly made my way to the line. I hum softly to myself as I move my way up. A few minutes later I get to the bowls and I grab one. There was two choices of soup today, we could have either vegetable soup or beef stew. I decided to go with the stew and filled my bowls before grabbing an apple juice. I walk myself over to a secluded corner and sit my bowl and drink down at the table. I slide into my seat and grab my spoon, stirring it around the stew. I scoop up some of the liquid and carefully bring it to my lips. I wrap them around the spoon and glance around the space.

"Can I sit here?" Dakota asks and I shake my head.
"I like to sit alone. I'm sorry." I mumble and look everywhere but her. She doesn't say anything, instead sits across from me anyway. I clench my jaw and stare at her. "Dakota I said-"
"I know what you said but I don't care. You're always so quiet and never talk to anyone. I feel like you need to have some human interaction." She laughs but I find nothing funny. Suddenly I don't feel like eating and I push my bowl away. "Seriously? You're not going to-"
"Please shut up." I say as kind as possible as I search the area for my therapist. I see her talking to someone and I stand from my seat. Dakota reaches her hand out to touch me and I quickly pull away.

"Mrs. Taylor." I say as I reach her. She turns and smiles when she sees me.
"Yes?" She asks and I pull her over to where no one can hear us.
"Can I show you something in my room?" I ask and she frowns.
"Jamil you have to eat and then we can go okay?" She says and I shake my head.
"But I want to go now." I mumble blinking at her. She sighs and rubs her hand up and down my arm.
"How about you bring your food with us?" She suggests and I huff.
"Fine." I sigh and head back over to the table I was sitting at. I scoop the bowl and my drink from the surface and Dakota looks at me strangely.

I squint my eyes at her before walking away and going back over to Mrs. Taylor. She says a few things to Donna and I bite my bottom lip. Donna nods and she tells me to take her to the room. We walk down the long hallways and finally get to my bedroom. She pushes the door open because I can't due to my hands being full. I allow her to step in first and then follow closely behind her. I set my things on my desk before going back over to the door and closing it softly.
"Mind if I sit here?" She asks referring to my bed. I shake my head and she takes a seat. I grab the painting I was recently working on and hand it to her.

 I grab the painting I was recently working on and hand it to her

"It's me." I say with a smile. Her mouth hangs open lightly as she stares at it.
"Wow... this is amazing Jamil!" She says making me blush. "Do you enjoy making art work?" She asks and I nod.
"Yes... it makes my mind go away." I say softly and sit next to her. She continues to examine hbd painting and sit in silence.
"You should go eat. I heard you have court today." Mrs. Taylor says. I nod and walk over to my desk. I sit down and slowly eat my food. Once I was finished she gathered my bowl and spoon and was getting ready to head out. "Good luck today." She says and I thank her before she disappears behind the door.
...

"Chin up." Donna says and I lift my chin. She straightens out my tie and I smile.
"Thank you for helping me." I say to her and she gives me a smile.
"You're welcome. You look very handsome." She winks and I blush.

 "Really?" I ask cheesing and she giggles

"Yes! Now go, you're going to be late. Head to the lobby." She says and I nod before exiting my bedroom. I speed walk my way to the lobby and my lawyer is waiting for me.
"You ready?" He asks and I nod. He pushes the doors open and I squint my eyes at the light. We make our way to the black SUV and I hop in the back seat. Mark hops in the front and starts the engine. "You can ride in the front Jamil." He says and I strap myself in.
"No thank you." I voice lowly and he nods before pulling off. I rest my head on the window and let the ride drag on. As we pull up to the court house I see Gina and Junior standing outside. I perk up and get antsy as I wait for him to park the car. Once he does I quickly unbuckle and hop out.

Gina and JJ don't see me as I come up behind them. I scoop Junior from the ground and he squeals.
"Hi daddy!" He laughs as I kiss his face. I smile widely and set him back down before pulling Gina over to me. I wrap my arms around her and put my face in her neck.
"Thank you for coming." I mumble as she hugs me back.
"You know I wouldn't stand you up." She says softly as her hands rub my back. I pull back and Junior tugs at my leg.
"Are you coming home soon?" He asks and I lick my lips.
"Hopefully." I smile and bend down to his level. He hugs me tight before I stand up and get ready to enter the building.
"We'll be here when you get done." Gina says and they wave at me as I go inside.
...

Tears stream down my face as I push the doors open. Gina perks up from her seat on the bench outside and runs up to me. Her hands grasp my face as hers looks full of concern.
"Jamil, baby, what's wrong? Oh my gosh do you have to stay?" Her eyes begin to brim with tears and I shake my head making her furrow her brows. "Wh-what is it?" She asks and I push my face more into her palm.
"I'm coming home." I whisper and she smiles and squeals. Tears roll down her cheeks and she jumps up on me. I quickly grasp her waist to prevent her from falling.
"I'm so happy for-" I cut her off my placing my lips on hers. Her eyes flutter closed and she releases a sound of content as she moves her lips with mine. I hold her tighter and close my eyes also.

News reports begin to swarm us but that doesn't stop us from kissing. Her arms link around my neck and my tongue swipes her bottom lip. She allows it on and I explore her heated mouth.
"Um... hello! I'm still here!" I hear JJ say making me pull away from the kiss. Gina giggles as a blush creeps across her cheeks. I set her down and pick up Junior. "So you are coming home?" He smirks and I chuckle.
"Yeah... I'm coming home." I say and he wraps his arms around my neck and squeezes me tight. I feel his little tears hit my neck making me cry and laugh at the same time.
"Good because I'm tired of missing you!" He says and I bite my bottom lip and squeeze his small body against mine.
"Me too Junior... me too."
________________________
Comment/ vote 💕only a few more chaps. This book was actually supposed to be over by now but I decided to extend it so.... enjoy!