Chapter Eighteen

(One year later...)
Jamil...

"Time for your meds..." The nurse says coming though my door. I sigh and pull the blankets from over my naked body. "Jamil we've talked about this. Don't do that while I'm in here." She says and I cover myself.
"Sorry Donna." I reply softly and she uncovers her eyes and walks over to me. She places the pills and a small cup of water on the side dresser and writes something down in her note pad. "Am I going to be in trouble?" I ask, furrowing my brows. She giggles lightly and shakes her head.
"No Jamil. It just makes me uncomfortable." She admits and I nod before grabbing the pills and swallowing them dry. "You're having a visitor today." She says after a moment, a small smile forming on her face. I smile and look up at her.

"Who is it?" I ask and she shrugs with a small smirk.
"I don't know you'll just have to find out." She says and I sigh. It's silent for a moment and I fidget around in my seat.
"Can you go so I can get dressed?" I ask and she nods.
"I'll be back before bedtime with your last pill." She says before departing from my room. I toss the blanket off of myself for the second time before standing front the bed. I gather some shorts and slip them on before grabbing some clothes for the shower. I grab my white towel that hung on the door and soap before pulling it open and heading out.
"Getting ready to shower?" One of the nurses asks as she comes from in someone else's room. I nod and give her a small smile.

"I'm having a visitor today." I blush and she laughs lightly.
"I heard, it's someone special." She says and I raise my brows. She disappears into another room and I continue my way to the showers. This was a small facility. It only held about 35-50 of us. The people here were really nice and made me feel safe. After the bodies were found awhile ago Mr. Jefferson, the officer, helped me get into here and not have to serve jail time. Elizabeth hasn't came to see me which makes me upset. Hopefully she'll come around and visit me at least once. I reach the showers and pull the curtain over. The showers were all in rows like in a high school locker room. Of course males and female students weren't allowed to be mixed though. We had our separate areas.

I hang my towel and set my clothes outside. I adjust the water to my liking before slipping my shorts off and stepping into the water. I close the curtain behind me and lean my head back as the water hits me. I wet my cloth and squeeze the soap onto it before rubbing it in. I quickly wash myself, and my black curls, before shutting the water off and stepping out. I have my therapy session soon so I have to hurry and get dressed. I dry off before pulling on my briefs, white tee-shirt, grey sweats and white socks. I gather up my things before heading back to my room.
"Hi Jamil!" A girl named Dakota smiles as I walk past her room.

I wave and keep going. Once I reach my door I pull it open before placing my things where they belong. I put my shorts in the hamper and head out of the room once more.
"Who is it?" Mrs. Taylor says as I knock on her door.
"It's Jamil." I say and I hear someone walking towards the door and it pulls open.
"Come in." She smiles and I slip into the room. I take my seat and wait for her to sit down. She looks through a few files before pulling up mine. She opens her journal to a fresh page and looks up at me. "I've heard you've had excellent behavior this past week." She says and I nod.
"Yes. I get to have more visits and outside time when I do. Sometimes I just can't control my anger." I say fidgeting with my fingers.

She nods in understanding and writes something down.
"Are you ready to talk about the root of your anger?" She ask and I twist up my lips.
"Just a little bit. Not everything." I say catching her blue eyes with mine. She nods and pushes her blonde hair behind her ear.
"I'm ready when you are." She says and I lick my lips.
"My father, he was a wealthy man. He my mom and I lived in this big house. From the outside it seemed like we were the perfect little family but behind closed doors he was something else. Like a demon, he was possessed. He always used to beat on momma." I sigh and she continues scribbling things down before looking up at me.
"Did he ever hurt you?" She asks and I nod.
"He didn't like me. He'd always find a reason to bust my lip or black my eye. Momma had me homeschooled when I was younger so people wouldn't get suspicious." I confess and she frowns before scooting her chair closer to me.

Grasping my hands she rubs her thumbs over the top of them.
"Do you think some of that hate you have is rooted from your mother?" She asks which makes me think. Slowly I nod and she continues to stare at me. "Tell me how." She says softly and I grip her hands back.
"She let him do those things to me... She didn't try hard enough to get away sooner! She was so oblivious to what he would do to me when she wasn't around..." I say as my eyes start to water. "He'd hit me when she was there but what he did when she was gone was much worse..." I whisper as tears slip down my cheeks.

"What did he do to you?" She asks and I swallow the lump in my throat.
"It started off with him touching me..." I say removing my eye contact.
"Where?" She asks and I clench her hands tighter.
"Here." I say moving our hands over my crotch. Her eyes water and she quickly blinks away her tears. I slowly remove our hands and place them back in her lap.
"Do you want to tell more?" She asks and I shake my head.
"Next week." I say and she nods. She lets my hands go and wipes her tears from her cheeks. I lean closer to her and kiss her cheek. "Don't cry for me. I have to do that myself." I has softly and she lets a small smile come across her face.

"You're so sweet." She whispers before giggling.
"You have a really pretty smile Mrs. Taylor." I compliment and she blushes.
"Thank you Jamil." She said lightly and rummages though her bag. "I had a feeling you'd open up some more to me today so I brought these to take up the rest of our time. I don't want to force you to confess to much so we'll play a couple of games." She says placing some cards and marshmallows on the table. "I remember you said marshmallows are your favorite." She smiles and I quickly grasp the package. For the next hour we play cards and I enjoy the bag of marshmallows she brought.
...

I twist in my seat as I wait for my visitor to arrive. The door opens to the room I was in and Gina steps through. Following behind her was my son making me smile brightly and stand from my seat.
"Y-you brought him this time." I cheese and she nods.
"I figured it was time." She says softly. Every month she came by herself. She claimed she didn't want him in an environment like this and I didn't go against her decision. This wasn't a place for a child.
"Daddy!" Junior says running up to me. I scoop him up and hug him against my chest.

Tears brim in my eyes as he clutched onto my shirt.
"I missed you." I whisper to him and kiss the side of his face. He pulls back and smiles as we stare at each other.
"I missed you too! Mommy said you were getting help that's why I couldn't see you for a while." He says and I nod.
"Mommy was right." I say and analyze his physique. He was now much taller. His hair had grown so much that it now fit in a puffy ponytail. His face structured more to look like me and the color of his eyes was much more vibrant. I was truly blessed with this boy. With his mother being Spanish he had hair that was not curly but not straight at the same time.

"Thank you for bringing him." I say setting him down.
"You're welcome." Gina voices softly and sits on the couch. She allows me and JJ to have our time together as she sits back and watches. A giggle leaves her lips as we horse around on the floor. "He's strong for his age Jamil be careful." She laughs and I join in.
"I see." I say as Junior attempts to tackle me to the ground. After two hours our time is up and it's time for them to go. I kiss his forehead as he sleeps on my shoulder. Squeezing him tight I close my eyes and hold him for a moment before handing him over to my mother. "Thank you again." I say and she nods. She hosts him up on her hip before bringing her hand to my cheek.

"I'm so proud of you. You're making so much progress. The judge is talking about letting you out within the next two to three years. Keep it up because the sooner you get out the more you and JJ can actually be with each other." She says and I bite my bottom lip.
"I want to be with you guys when I get out." I admit and she smiles.
"We'll be here for you a hundred percent of the way. My home is yours Jamil. If we're what you want then we'll be waiting for you on the outside." She says almost in a whisper. I step closer to her and lick my lips. I slowly lean down and catch my lips with hers. She kisses me back softly for a moment before we pull away. A blush is on her cheeks as I kiss my sons face once more.
"Tell him I said I love him." I say to her and she nods before heading out of the door.
_________________________
:) comment/vote ❤️