Chapter One

Chapter One: Belle

Belle was really enjoying her book, Romeo and Juliet. Belle loved reading William Shakespeare. The town people thought that Belle was weird for reading. The town people thought that women should not be educated. Belle did not like how close-minded these people were.

Belle went to the library.

"Bonjour, Mr. Robert, how are you doing?" Belle asks.

"I am doing well, and how are you and your father doing?" Robert asks.

"We are both doing well. Papa is getting to go to the fair to enter his invention," Belle says. "I wish your father luck.

"Belle, you are in luck today. I got some new books in today. We just got books by Mark Twain and we got the Anne of Green Gables series," Robert said. "I have never heard of those books before."

"I will read the Anne of the Green Gables series first." Belle decided.

Belle left the library. She was reading her book while walking home as the town people were giving her evil looks.

"Belle is just as weird as her cousin Queen Anastasia. I do not know why King Alex married Queen Anastasia," Belle heard the woman say. "You have some nerve to speak badly of my cousin in front of me. My cousin is a good person and she deserves happiness. Miss Clothilde, I wish you would keep your opinion to yourself." Belle exclaimed.

"Belle, what is going on and why are you angry with Miss Clothilde?" Belle heard Gaston ask.

"I am angry with Miss Clothilde for speaking badly of my cousin Queen Anastasia," Belle says.

"Belle you cannot let Miss Clothilde upset you because she speaks badly about everyone. Miss Clothilde is nothing but a bitter woman,"

"What do you want Gaston?" Belle asks.

"I love you and I want to spend the rest of my life with you. Will you marry me?" Gaston asks.

Belle did not get a chance to answer Gaston because LeFou came rushing out to get Gaston. "Gaston, Greg Lawrence is selling his bar. You have to hurry if you still want to buy it from him," LeFou says. Gaston rushes off before Belle could answer him. Belle went to talk to Rose the homeless woman.

"Bonjour, Rose, I bought some bread and cheese for you to eat," Belle says.

"Thank you, Belle. You are such a kind person," Rose says.

"You're welcome and have a good day."

"You too Belle."

Belle went home. Larry Hutchins the governor of France and the IRS was at Belle's house. The bank was also at Belle's house.

"What is going on, Papa?" Belle asks Maurice.

"I owe money to the IRS and the bank. If I do not pay the bank and the IRS says, if we don't pay it in a month's time, we could lose our house. On top of that, I have some more bad news: they will send me to prison if I do not pay the money I owe them." Maurice says.

"Mr. Hutchins, please have a heart and give my Papa more time to pay the money he owes." Belle begged Larry.

"I am sorry, mademoiselle, but I gave your father enough time pay his debts. I will give Maurice three months to pay his debts and, if he does not pay, I will show no mercy the next time." Larry says in a snarky way to Belle.

Belle did not know what to do. Belle knew her father will not ask Uncle Martin for a loan because of his pride. Belle knew the only way she could save her house and her father from going to prison is to marry Gaston. Belle went to look for Gaston at his house.

"Gaston, it's me Belle." Belle said.

"Hello Belle, I am glad to see you. What are you doing here?" Gaston asks.

"I am here to tell you I will marry you that is if you still want to marry me."

"I am so happy you agreed to marry me. I want us to get married in one week."

Belle and Gaston went to tell Maurice that they were getting married in a week.