Chapter 12

A/N: Oh my goodness 280 views !! Thank you so much for your patience.

Reject own certain characters, I own the cover, plot, story, Hayashi family and Yuki Hayashi ( main  character of this story, .)  Respect the copyrights.
Without further adew let's continue into Chapter 12.

...................................................................................................................................

                                                                 Yuki's POV

It was easy to find another way into the laboratory but to lure every walker into empty rooms and lock them in without killing was harder than first thought.
In movies, survivors could come up with ways to escape a horde but what I was doing would be the exact opposite, climbing up nimbly into the air vent quietly crawling to the gap sliding out and repeat. The bigger the room the more walkers could be contained but those outside was the least of my worries.

Moans, groans of the corpses echoed through the corridor as Yuki watched her step putting a hand over her mouth at the grotesque sight of two bodies on the ground, blood splattered with missing insides: her parents' bodies...

She forced herself to look away turning to a door, she checked to see no walkers anywhere within the room before entering, the coast was clear with a yellow and black sign on another door.

It is probably where chemicals are stored in isolation.

Warning:
Chemicals may be harmful; staff must always wear protective gear inside least be contaminated.

The sign read. A little too accurate to the current situation at hand.
This was where the virus came from.

The room was cold due to isolation, air-conditioning was sucking the virus through the air ducts above. Good, no bodies. Let us cut off the conditioning, shall we?

Yuki thought pressing a gloved hand against a large button, hearing the whirring of air ducts switch off, now for the more difficult part.

The girl searched the only machine in the room that caused the apocalypse, following the power cords to the main generator.
Father had mentioned machines tend to overheat if left too long once or twice. Except the generator was cool to the touch.

Getting up from a crouch Yuki looked towards where lavender smoke wafted out, where the vaccine should have been, next turning attention to the notes spread across a marble surface.

To fix the flaw from the source requires prior knowledge of the test trial. hmm... reverse hopefully to work the way it ought to.

"Okay. Turn off here. Formula must be in their notes, aha, how to create the medicine in correct order." Muttering under my breath finding the switch, flicked downwards, she could hear the humming died down until no more smoke.

Yes, here it is on the desk.!

Yuki's purple/blue eyes skimming over long calculations, examining the trial process, spotting a mistake.

I went to the heart of the machine opening the cover and found the tiny error.... the gear had come loose causing the liquids to combust incorrectly thus doing the exact opposite creating the virus. Searching the drawers for a wrench, she noticed tools with labels not just those, but everything was labelled, whoever did this was quite the organized scientist.

Gently Yuki secured the pinch of the metal tool onto the gear turning it into its rightful place, securing the bolt until it no longer moved: closing the covering.
she tapped a few commands onto the keyboard of the computer, setting in a sequence of codes two minutes to load and she pressed the ON button of the air-conditioning before generator.

Loud humming worked its way through the circuits setting the gears into motion in chorus harmony: where the purple smoke had been, thinned and slowly smoke wafted out in a white puff of mist , spread through the room being sucked into the air vents.

Please. let this work. Praying at such a time, the virus needed to be eradicated otherwise it might spread over Japan and then the world if it failed.

Five minutes passed in silence, then the answer came in the form of moaning walkers turned to shrieking and thump of bodies hitting the floor nearby unconscious.

THUMP... THUMP... THUMP...

I peer through the viewing panel of glass: it was working, white smoke filling the rooms of the laboratory like morning mist.

Unlocking the nearest door in the corridor, I saw the loose skin healing back to normal, all were unconscious. A miracle, they will be back to normal in no time... no walker lung out and before long every door was open.

But there was one way to be certain by testing it on myself, taking off the boots, belt with remaining arsenal and bag, tugging the zip down I step out the suit before removing the mask.
Inhale... exhale. Clean, crisp vanilla taste I slip on my boots, belt etc and yanked off the gloves throwing them to the floor.

Eventually I walk pass the two unbreathing bodies of Hiiro and Shizuka Hayashi: bullet holes coated in dried blood; a foul stench of decay was starting... scratches near their chest where walkers must have torn open for fresh organs...

Yuki was unable to react unable to grieve, sadness to cry, or hatred at what my own flesh and blood made me do. regret and relief. "mother.... father... why?"

Nothing but silence, I was dead inside: bile rose in my throat at the sight of their mangled bodies. I forced it down and dry-retched instead. Somehow managing to start walking again glance back at their faces one last time: burning into my mind.

  .............................................................................................................................

I set foot back into the lobby heading to the main entrance/ exit, no walkers here except another body: remains of Miko Hayashi, my only sibling...

"Onee-Chan... why did you take your life to save mine?" No answer, Miko was long gone, lying in dark crimson pool dried. "I kept my vow... your death was not in vain. It is over now, the ant-virus is turning them back... I'm so sorry."
I knelt at my elder sibling's side, my fingers lightly brushing down over Miko's blank grey eyes closing them.

Miko looked to be sleeping but I knew better. She is never coming back.

.....................................................................................................................................

What Yuki did not know, security cameras were still operational recording everything it heard and saw from the start of walkers to the end and who stopped the virus. Whether it will be used against or not remained to be seen.

.....................................................................................................................................

End of Chapter 12.

..............................................................................................................................

A/N: Two chapters within two days,I've cut this in half , the other half is in Chapter 13  which will be updated as soon as possible. Feel free to vote, comment or provide constructive feedback and have a wonderful day!

| Copyright| ©2017 Fanficwriter01

Updated: September 17, 2017

Recent Updated: June 12, 2020