last day

sadness is inevitable. there will never be a person who claims that they have never been sad. but jack? jack was always sad. he brought sadness wherever he went. the living room, the bathroom, the market, the small shop around the corner. he even brought sadness in mark's tight embrace. they stood there for god knows how long, jack clinging to the thin fabric while mark rubbed his back, hushing his sniffles with hums of peacefulness.

"why don't you get cleaned up, hmm?" mark said quietly.

jack merely nodded and let go, the warmth in mark's chest replaced with longing. jack coughed and smiled, genuinely smiled, at mark, "i'm sorry."

"you don't need to be," mark smiled sadly at the fact that jack was apologizing for showing emotion, "you're not a robot, you can show emotion."

"your shirt is wet," jack pointed out, "i ruined it."

"just a shirt, i can replace it," marm shrugged.

jack mumbled something incoherent and mark quirked a brow, "hmm?"

"nothin'," jack shook his head, but mark knew it wasn't just 'nothing' but if jack didn't wish to tell, he'll respect his wishes.

"well uh," jack coughed and rubbed his neck, "see ya in a few."

"i'm just across the hall," mark chuckled.

jack shrugged sheepishly, "shuddup."

and he turned tail and left. mark sighed, leaning against the wall. he didn't mean to push jack so much, but he knew that if he didn't, jack would not die because of old age, curled in his knit blanket, but because of all the pain, the loneliness, the sadness, the emptiness, eating him away while lying alone in a bathroom.

the thought made him shudder. just thinking of jack killing himself was a nightmare itself. if it were reality...

don't think like that, he's fine now. maybe not emotionally, but you'll fix him.

mark shut his eyes and sighed.

this was going to be a long visit, but that's okay. he and jack were together and that was enough.

"mark?"

mark opened his eyes and smiled at the confused boy, "hmm?"

"you can sleep, you look exhausted," jack frowned.

"jetlag," mark replied, half mumbling, "i'm normally up all night, but i'm tuckered out."

jack bit his lip, "sorry."

"stop apologizing, it's cool," mark patted his shoulder, "you needed a rock, and i'll play that role until i die."

mark swore he saw regret fill jack's dull eyes, but it disappeared as quickly as it had appeared.

"i..," jack fell silent and then chuckled meekly, "thank you."

"no problem," mark grinned, "now um..."

"right, bed," jack nodded and just as he was about to head to his room, mark grabbed his wrist. he took a sharp inhale, memories flashing before his eyes and fuck mark was screwing up already. he quickly engulfed jack into a hug, tucking his head into the crook of jack's stiff neck.

"sorry, sorry, you okay?" mark mumbled, pulling away to examine jack's trembling figure, "i-i shouldn't have done that, after everything you went through..."

"i'm fine," jack murmured, "sorry-"

"if you say sorry one more time i'll tickle you."

jack gasped and yanked away, "you wouldn't dare."