01

♢ ♢ ♢

♢ ♢ ♢

"So are you guys excited for Gabby's party tonight?" My best friend Esther asked as I ran a flat iron over her dyed blond curls.

"I mean, yeah, but I'm kind of nervous. There's gonna be a lot of new people there."

"That's why it should be exciting, hun. You love new people! Plus we're all going to be there with you."

Love them and hate them.

It was the first party of the summer being fresh highschool graduates and our friend from middle school, Gabby was kicking off the season with her 18th birthday party.

"Yeah, exactly. We're going to get there and within the first twenty minutes you'll definitely be chatting up some people or destroying some boys at beer pong." Gwen spoke up from her place on her bed.

I groaned and set the flat iron down. "Yeah, but—"

"—But it's new people so you are intimidated." Esther said, messing around with her freshly straightened hair. She grabbed a bottle of hair oil off of the vanity. "Defrizz me, please."

I poured the product into my hands and started running it through her hair. "Basically, I just–"

Gwen got off of the bed and stood next to me, examining her makeup in the mirror in front of us.

"–Just want to have a good time and not make a fool out of yourself?" She checked her phone, not catching my eye role. "Guys, my mom will drop us off at Gabby's. We leave in 30, the pizza's here."

"While we eat, we should pre-game." Esther got up and started heading out of the room.

"I'm down." Gwen said, following Esther out. "I wanna be pleasantly tipsy when we walk in."

The girls left the room to go carb load while I stayed to put the flat iron away.

I couldn't help but examine my reflection in the mirror. It showed me, my flat-ironed dyed reddish-brown hair running down to the bottom of my hips, my almost-twin like eyebrows, Gwen's black cropped tank that showed off the straps of my burgundy bralette, and my long legs that were ever so slightly covered with a pair of black high waisted denim shorts.

"Lie, stop staring at yourself in the mirror. You look awesome." Gwen called.

I sighed and added yet another coat of mascara to my eyelashes and left the room.

Hopefully there would be some cute boys. It had been awhile since I'd gotten my flirt on, and I was getting rusty. I hadn't touched a boy in almost four months and was starting to look like the Virgin Mary to my friends.