23

♢ ♢ ♢

♢ ♢ ♢

I set my flat iron down and finger combed my freshly clean straightened hair.

It felt good to finally get my shit together and wash my hair, with actual shampoo and conditioner not just dry shampoo from the drug store. It's probably the biggest bad habit of mine to forget to wash my hair once I had straightened it.

Once I put everything away and tidied up my bathroom, I went downstairs and for the first time in a few days, I saw my mother. She was standing in her bedroom fussing over herself in the mirror.

I cleared my throat, forcing all of her attention on to me. "Shouldn't you be at work?"

"Aren't you happy to see me?" She asked, pulling me into a hug.

"Yeah, it's actually been awhile." I pulled away from the hug and ruffled my hair. "I'm sorry that I've been going out basically every night."

"Oh it's no problem, I'm actually going out with a friend from work tonight so it's my turn now." She said with a wink. "You don't have any plans tonight, do you?"

"No, not tonight."

"That's surprising, there's always something going on for you... Should I be concerned?"

I sat down on her bed and stifled a laugh. "No mom, everything's fine. I just need a little breather from everything that's happened this past week."

"Do you-" she got cut off by her phone ringing. "Hold on, Sunjung is calling me." Mom slid her phone across the screen accepting the call. "Hello?" The smile gracing her face slowly faded away. "You have to cancel... why?" She listened to whatever Sunjung was saying on the other side of the line, nodding her head. "Oh that's not a problem, my daughter can babysit." The smile returned back to my mothers face. "Perfect we'll be there in thirty minutes. See you then." She hung up the phone and turned to face me.

I sighed, already knowing what she was going to say. "I'm assuming that I now have plans tonight."

"Yes." I groaned and stood up. "Now go get ready, we're leaving soon."

♢ ♢ ♢

"She's already had dinner so just have her in bed by 9pm. EuJin is pretty chill so just let her do her own thing, but make sure to watch over her because she is unpredictable sometimes. Your mother sent you my number already in case anything bad happens, but if you do have any minor questions or concerns, my son is home so he will help you out."

I nodded my head along to Sunjung's spiel, while guiding her towards the doorway. "Everything sounds good, I'll see you at 1am."