16. Rough Interrogation

Rage

The address Ava gave us is in San Francisco and it takes us half an hour to get there. As I ride behind Tor I can barely control myself from riding ahead. Safe! That is all I wanted to give Iris since it is all I can give her and nothing more. And I wasn't able to do that either. All I can think of as we are crossing the Bay Bridge heading for San Francisco was the look she had when I first laid eyes on her, that terrified look, the look of someone used to live in fear. I am going to crush that fear out of her life along with the skull of anyone causing it. I grip the handles of the bike till my knuckles are white under the gloves. We need to get there fast.

And we do. The day is breaking as we are cruising down the most infamous areas of Cisco. Rows upon rows of half abandoned small houses surrounded by miserable gardens filled with garbage. Turning upon a road, Tor orders us to a halt. He gets off his bike and I follow his lead. I look ahead up the road and see the house we are looking for. It is a perfect replica of all the other half-wrecked dwellings in the area. Everyone gets off their bikes and gather around Tor.

"Ironhand, Stig. Stay with the bikes and keep your eyes open. Bjorn, Runner you fall around back. I don't want any fucking surprises. Rage," he turns to me, "how about we knock on their door?"

Any other time I would have grinned at the open invitation to hurt someone. But not this time. This time it is Iris's life on the line and I don't care about anything else but getting her out of there alive and whole. I tremble at the sheer truth of this thought. For the first time in my life I don't want to hurt anyone – myself included – but I need to save someone. I nod at Tor and go up my bike. I open the black bag and gear up. I make sure my gun is loaded and that I have my favorite blades and razors with me before returning to Tor's side. Bjorn and Runner leave and go round the corner while Tor waves at me to follow his lead. I grind my teeth trying to stop myself from rushing ahead.

Running behind Tor swiftly we reach the door and Tor leans in. He signals me that he hears nothing and then moves aside to make way for me. I count till I know Bjorn and Runner are in place and then I kick the door in, gun in hand. I go in the room and there on a torn sofa is a man, sleeping. At the same time, I hear the back-door crack as Bjorn howls. The man gets up startled only to meet the barrel of my gun and he throws his hands in the air.

"Where is she?" the demand scratches my throat.

The man looks at me and then at Tor behind me before focusing on me. Bjorn's voice fills the hallway before throwing another man on the carpet in the living room. The newcomer is in his underwear and I hear a woman's voice in the back room. Instantly my fingers go over the trigger and my body is up in flames. If that fucker has laid one finger on Iris, he is going to die a painful death.

"He was in there with some bitch. No Iris." Bjorn reads my body language.

I approach the man on the sofa. I recognize his face from the surveillance video. Carl Bundens. He was the one grabbing Iris and it is taking all I have not to kill him on the spot. I lower my gun and put it in the back of my jeans. I tower over him and he shrinks under my gaze.