38. Burning Questions

Iris

"I will kill him!" Bjorn's voice stirs me.

"Get in line, big guy," Ava hisses. "I will skin him alive and use this inked skin to decorate the baby room."

Rage. They are talking about Rage. My head is dizzy and I feel weak but I react to this with instinct.

"No," my voice is weak and hoarse.

Ava sits on the bed and caresses my forehead.

"First word she says in four days and it's to defend that worthless piece of shit," Bjorn snarls. "I swear if Runner hadn't gotten in the way..."

"Iris, girl. Look at me."

I fight and I open my eyes. Ava smiles and she keeps caressing my hair.

"Ava," I say.

"You scared me for a minute there," Ava's voice breaks.

I know not what to say. And then it all comes rushing back to me. All of it. Being scorned by Rage, tossed aside, discarded. He told me I was his and that he was mine but he let Tor...A tear runs down the side and wets the pillow.

"No, no, Iris. No crying," Ava wipes the tear away. "Sit up, Iris. Eat something, I am begging you. You haven't eaten a thing for days."

I shake my head in denial and close my eyes. I have no will to go on. My body rejects the idea of food and I just want to sleep. Ava grabs my head and shakes it lightly.

"Don't slip away, Iris. You will eat. I have seen enough death. I am not losing you to a fucking heartbreak."

I look up to her and I see Bjorn behind her, his usual dark face laden with worry. Ava still cares. Bjorn cares.

"I need you, kid. Back to work," Bjorn tries.

I muster all I have in me and I sit up. Ava moves rapidly and brings a bowl with chicken soup to my lips.

"Slowly," she urges me.

I do as she asks to keep her happy. She is pregnant and I don't want to upset her, not in her condition. I swallow the soup and it is as if my mouth is sandpaper. Ava breathes relieved and Bjorn nods to me. I look around and I am in a nice room, washed in sunlight. I am on a white, metallic bed. The room has a light lilac color, cute frames hanging on the wall, white, vintage wardrobe. I hear birds outside and I see a tree outside the window.

"The guest room," Ava straightens my covers to hide her anxiety. "Your room for as long as you need."

"I got your stuff back from-" Bjorn stops mid-sentence.

I frown feeling the pain rip me from the sunlit room to the one I shared with Rage. I would trade places gladly. I would give everything I have, my soul, my heart just to be back on that bed, in his arms, waking up to see him stare down at me with those eyes. His eyes. Will I ever see bluer eyes in my life? A whimper leaves my lips.