40. Blinding Light

We are so close to an end, it hurts me to let them go.

Thank you all for your love and support, it means the world to me.

Keep telling me your thoughts and leaving me comments with anything you like or hate.

Iris

I look myself in the mirror and I still can't believe it is me. For the first time in my life I am wearing a dress! Ava has asked me to be her bridesmaid along with Galina and Tanya and I agreed with tears in my eyes. Though she has let free rein on the other two and allowed them to wear whatever they wanted, she insisted on buying a dress for me.

"If I knew Ava was going to buy a Dior for her bridesmaids, I wouldn't have whined about bridesmaid dresses being awful," Tanya comments and shakes her head.

I don't know what a Dior is, but by looking in the mirror, it must be something really good. As good as I look. My hair is up on an elaborate hairdo with a few loose strands falling at the sides and the dress leaves my shoulder and neck exposed. Galina has done my make-up and he has managed to keep it fresh and simple. I never knew I could look so good. And to think that a while back I was looking for food in filthy garbage bags...

For the first time in two weeks I can breathe a little. Tanya and Galina play a big part in that. They came in early with their usual sassy, storm-like attitude and swept me off my feet. Instead of focusing on Ava, they focused on me. I suspected Ava has spoken to them and since the bride is perfectly happy and calm, she made sure I got my mind occupied. And not think about him. Don't!

"God, Iris," Galina takes my hand and twirls me around, "you look amazing. Classy and sexy, innocent and lady at the same time. I am sure that bastard..."

Galina doesn't finish her sentence as Tanya elbows her with a fake smile on her face. Rage. They are talking about Rage. He will be here. The smile shutters as my head drops and my jaw tightens. I will survive today. I have survived being whipped to the brink of death and I will survive today. And I will do so with a wide smile on my face. I owe Ava as much.

"I got to check..." I lie and make a hasty exit.

The thought of seeing him again shakes me down to my core. Part of me wishes he won't show up, that he won't like so many people around and that somewhere deep down he has the decency to recognize the ache he has put me through. But that means that he cares about me and not like a found, cute puppy that he has decided was too much of a fuss to keep. He doesn't care. He doesn't, I repeat again and again. Deep down though, under all this pain and agony, there is a part of me that wants to see him again. One last time.

"Iris?" I hear a voice and I turn.

Wood is standing at the foot of the staircase. The sun is coming in from the door and bathes him in a perfect light. His dark eyes take me all in and I know Tanya and Galina weren't lying to make me feel better. I do look and I can see it in Wood's appreciative look. Something flutters inside me as his eyes narrow and he swallows hard. He goes over me a few times before his look settles in my eyes with an overpowering tension. I avert my gaze and my eyes fall on the patch on his cut. It has his road name on it.