30. True Confessions

Iris

Iris

We get back to the clubhouse and I have never been so sad to see the familiar street. For a few moments up that hill, I was the happiest person alive. I was in his arms, his thick lips against me, my head nesting in his palm, his heartbeat close. I never thought that being close to a man could bring such great pleasure in my deprived life. His essence filled me and the whole world stopped as his lips touched mine.

And then it was over. And it was as if the day was over with it. I have never kissed a man before so I don't know what I did wrong. But Rage hasn't spoken to me during the ride so it must have been a bad kiss. All these women in the bar, they must know what they are doing. And their bodies are full, voluptuous. Unscarred.

That last thought drives a nail through my heart. He has seen my back, the marked flesh, the oozing wound. He has been changing my bandages every day. No man would ever want to kiss a woman with scars like mine. I am ugly. And he is beautiful. Too beautiful for a girl like me.

Rage drives up to the bar and parks his bike in his usual spot. I don't wait not even for a moment. I take the helmet off and I climb away from him leaving it on my seat.

"There you are." Bjorn has come out to welcome me.

"Are you closing up?" I ask urgently.

"Nah. Everyone wants to be ready for the wedding so I am doing some work on Ironhand's bike."

"Good." I walk away and head straight for the Eleanor.

I don't look back. Seeing Rage avoid my eyes would kill me and I have died enough times in my life. I find solace thinking that at least I have Eleanor waiting for me, not judging, never disappointed. Bjorn is right behind me and I feel his eyes burning the back of my skull.

"You OK, kid?" Bjorn asks.

"Fine. Can't wait to fix her up."

"You sure? Did that psycho do anything...?"

"Don't, Bjorn." I cut him "Please."

"Sure thing, kid." Bjorn leaves me be and goes to his workstation.

I've been working for hours, my mind blocking everything out, just cleaning and tightening, adjusting and tuning. How great would it be if my life would be fixed like this car? If I could clean the bad, tune out the pain, adjust my needs to what I can have. I can tell the sun has set and I hear music coming from the bar. Nighttime at the clubhouse, women flowing in. Women with perfect bodies and unmarked skins. Women that know how to kiss and give pleasure to a man.

"Wrap it up, Iris. Got to go back to my woman."

I swallow bitterly but manage to muster a smile. Where I am supposed to go? Panic surges through me. If I ask Bjorn to take me with him, he will blame Rage and that never ends up well. I can go up my apartment but the thought only makes me shiver. Only thing is certain. I can't go back to Rage. I could go to one of the bunkers downstairs and spent the night but these rooms give me the creeps. I can stay in some dark corner in the bar for the best part of the night. I will be safe amidst the Riders. And I'll suck it up and return to my room above the garage tomorrow.