Chapter 2

All the color drained in my face, this can't be happening. She did not just do that. This has to be a dream. I can't be partner with Gabby. I pushed my nails into my palm and when I pulled them away I saw a little drop of blood. This isn't a dream. I slowly got up from my seat and made my way to the front of the room. As I was walking up there I heard what people were whispering. 'Why does the freak get to work with Gabby?' 'She such a loser.' 'She needs to keep her hands-off Gabby.' 'Her crazy is going to rub off on Gabby.'

            Gabby was already up there waiting for me. I took the paper from Mrs. Montori's hand and stared into Gabby's sea blue eyes. She stared back for a little bit but returned to her seat. When my brain finally decided to work again, I walked back to my own seat.

            The reason I reacted like this is because I have the biggest crush on Gabby. Words could not describe Gabby. She is gorgeous. She has chestnut brown hair that falls in perfect waves down her back. Don't even get me started on her eyes. Gabby has the bluest eyes I have ever seen. She has a great body, from all the years of soccer. She is the captain of the Dalton High varsity soccer team.

            The sound of the bell ringing knocked me out of my daze. Everyone filed out of the classroom and I was still sitting in my seat. I needed to fix this. I had to fix this. I waited till everyone left the classroom until I got out of my seat.

"Mrs. Montori can I ask you something?" I asked as she sat at her computer.

"Sure Carmen, what's up?" She asked and turned around to face me.

"Is there any way I can do this project on my own?" I asked.

            Mrs. Montori looked at me with a shocked expression. My anxiety started to kick in as I waited for her answer. I was trying not to look her in the eyes because I knew if I did then there would be no way I could keep myself together. So I focused on a string that was hanging off my shirt and my breathing.

"Were you even paying attention to what the project is about Carmen?" She asked drawing me to look at her again.

"No, but that's not the point. I don't work well with others." I said trying to make it clear to her that I didn't want to work with someone else.

"Sorry Carmen but you're going to have to work with Gabby. I know that you don't like working in groups but you and Gabby have a lot more in common than you think. This project will be good for you." Mrs. Montori said, putting the final nail in my coffin. All the air left my lungs. I just nodded and walked out of the room. I needed air. I ran all the way up three flights of stairs to the roof.

            I threw the door open and fell to the ground. My vision was starting to get spotty; I needed air. I got my backpack off me and looked for my inhaler. When I finally found it I took a hit from it. I laid on my back and looked up at the sky. I closed my eyes and focused on my breathing.

"Oh my god, Carmen are you okay?!"

            This could not be happening. I thought I was the only one who knew how to get up here.

"Carmen please open your eyes." I felt two hands on my cheeks; I did what was asked. Two bright blue orbs were floating above me.

"Thank god." Gabby said and let out the breath she was holding. She sat down on her butt and pulled my head on her lap. God, just looking into her eyes right now were making me light headed. I took another hit off my inhaler.

"Carmen are you okay?" She asked.

            Her voice was like an angel. I could listen to her talk all day long. Her eyes though, they'll haunt my every move. I felt so safe in her lap right now, but all good things must come to an end. Wait a second; Gabby Lupo knows my name. She knows who I am.