Chapter 11

I walked Gabby to her mother's car and gave her a quick kiss on the cheek. She smiled and got into the car with her family. I quickly made my way to my Jeep and opened the door for Rylie. She got into the passenger seat and I closed the door. After I got in I turned on the Jeep and quickly made my way home.

Rylie made her way inside after me. I quickly gave her dinner and then made my way to my room. I looked at what I was wearing and decided to at least put on a nicer shirt. When I thought I looked good enough I grabbed my backpack and locked the door behind me.

Gabby's house is about a 5-minute drive away from my house. They live right around the block from the diner. I pulled into their driveway and took a deep breath. I shut my car off and hopped out. I made my way up the steps of the porch and rang the doorbell quickly before I lost my nerve.

I looked down to my feet and fixed the ruffles on my shirt. My head snapped up when I heard the door opening. Gabby stood in front of me. She has her hair up in a bun and she is wearing a band-tee and sweatpants. God she looks so good even in this.

I smiled as Gabby held her hand out for me. I took it and she led me inside her house. We walked hand-in-hand to her dining room where her brothers and mother were already sitting.

"Good to see you again Carmen. Take a seat wherever you like." Mary said.

"Thank you for having me over." I said.

Gabby took a seat across from Sal and I sat next to her and across from Luca. Mary sat at the head of the table.

"Any time hon." Mary said with a smile as she passed out pieces of pizza. After Sal got our drinks we all dug into the pizza.

Throughout dinner we made light conversation about school and things. Sal and Luca asked me a bunch of questions, but that's what big brothers are for. Too make sure their little sister doesn't get her heart broken.

"Carmen tell us about yourself?" Mary asked.

"What would you like to know?" I asked meeting her blue eyes.

Her eyes aren't like Gabby's. Gabby's eyes are bright like the water in the Caribbean and full of life, while Mary's are duller and more of an ice blue color. It might be from age or just the stress from running the diner.

"Where are your parents?" She asked.

"On a business trip somewhere, I think they're in Mexico." I said taking another bite of pizza.

"Oh, what do they do?" Mary asked.

I guess they don't know my last name, or Gabby never told them. Oh well, I love to see people's reactions to when I tell people who I am.

"They own and run Vera Industries." I said. I heard coughing and I look over to the brothers. Luca was coughing and Sal's mouth is wide open.

"You're Carmen Vera? As in Carmen Vera whose parents are Scott and Camila Vera. Who own multi-million-dollar Vera Industries?" Sal asked.

"It's more like multi-billion but yea that's them and me." I said finished off my pizza.

"Boy's that rude, but that nice to hear Carmen. So, they just left you home alone while there gone?" Mary asked.

"I'm not totally alone I have my service dog Rylie, and my friend Alexis." I said. I don't really want to start talking about my problems with them.

"You have a service dog?" Mary asked.

"Yea" I said and smiled thinking about Rylie.

"What for if you don't mind me asking." Mary asked.