Chapter 17

The burning in my arm is getting worst. I want to open my eyes. I need to open my eyes. I want to scream out in pain because my arm feels like it's on fire. I scream as loud as I could to try and get someone's attention. Someone needs to wake me from this limbo state. My head is foggy and I'm trying to piece together what happened in my mind. I remember the hurricane, walking to the tree, the car. Gabby's car. Gabby. I have to find Gabby.

With a new sense of purpose I find all the strength I have in me to open my eyes. I have to close them right away though because it feels like someone poured battery acid into them. I take a few seconds to relax then open them again. Looking around I saw Alexis and somebody in a lab coat standing next to her.

Pushing myself off the bed I try to take a step. Once I get off the bed I fall right to the floor. The pounding in my head got worst and I yelled out in pain.

"Carmen what are you doing!" Alexis yelled.

"Gabby?" Was all I could get out, my throat is sore.

"Let's get you back in bed Carmen." Alexis said and tried to pick me up.

I pushed her off me and crawled backwards till my back hit the bed. Alexis knelt down in front of me.

"No where's Gabby." I croaked out.

"She is three doors down getting the help she needs." Alexis said. I pulled myself onto my feet and waited for the dizziness to stop.

I moved off the bed and tried to walk to the door. Alexis stopped me though. She put her arms around me.

"Let go!" I yelled and tried to get her off me.

"No Carmen you need to get back in bed, you lost a lot of blood." Alexis said. I stopped trying to fight her and think.

What is she talking about? I lost a lot of blood? What happened to me? The burning on my arm. What was that about? I looked down at my right around and saw a white bandage wrapped around it.

"What happened?" I asked still staring at my arm.

"Sit back on the bed and I'll tell you." Alexis said.

Finally, I agreed with her only because I felt like I was going to pass out again. I sat down on the bed and stared at Alexis.

"What happened?" I asked again.

"When you broke Gabby's back window you cut yourself pretty badly, losing a good amount of blood. Then when the doctor was stitching you up you started screaming at the top of your lungs." Alexis explained.

I was screaming out loud? That's probably why my throat hurts. I looked back up at Alexis and shook off the dizziness that came over me again. My fight isn't over yet. I need to find Gabby. I tried to push myself off of my bed again and Alexis was right there to try and stop me from moving.

"You need to let me go." I said and pushed her hands away from me.

"You need some time to rest and heal and the doctor needs to finish looking over your hand. He was in the middle of putting stitches in place when you started yelling your head off so he stopped." Alexis said as she came closer.

"I don't care, I need to find Gabby, I need to know she is okay." I said and tried to get out of bed again.

"Carmen listen to me, Gabby is okay she is resting down the hall." Alexis said.

How can I believe her? I kept trying to get out bed. I need to get to Gabby. I need to make sure she is okay. My brain is on a one-track mind. Make sure Gabby is okay. Alexis is getting closer and isn't backing down. Time to fight. Taking a deep breath to make the dizziness go away, I jumped off the bed and ran for the door. I pulled it open and ran down the hall to what I hoped was Gabby's room. I pushed the door open and everybody looked at me.