Chapter 13

Tuesday mornings aren't as bad as Monday mornings. Rylie licked my face to wake me. The sun is shining and the surfers are out on the waves. The waves are starting to get bigger with the hurricane approaching the coast.

Overall school was boring. Kristen wasn't in school again and neither was Gabby. I texted her and asked her what was up and she just told me she had a family issue and she'll be back in school tomorrow. Kristen on the other hand didn't answer me. It was worrying me that she wasn't answering. I even called her a few times but she still didn't answer.

School just let out and since I'm blowing off Alexis today I'll go by the hardware store to see if Kristen is there. The drive there was quick since there is no one on the roads. I parked out in front of the store and got out. The sign in the window said open so I pushed the door open and walked in.

The store was empty so I made my way to the desk and hit the bell. Nobody came out so I hit the bell a few more times.

"Coming, coming god something I can help you with?" An older man asked.

"Hi uhm are you Kristens' dad?" I asked.

"I am" The man said.

"Is she here? I've been trying to get a hold of her all day." I said.

"And you are?" He asked.

"Sorry I'm Carmen Vera, Kristen's friend." I said holding out my hand.

The man just looked at me funny but slowly took my hand. When he let go he started to walk to the back of the store. I just stood in my place unsure whether or not I'm supposed to follow.

"You coming?" He asked as he walked. I quickly ran after him.

He walked up the stairs in the back of the shop and I followed. When we got to the top he stopped and turned back to me.

"She hasn't left her room since Sunday, she won't talk to me, or eat, or anything." He said. I nodded and followed him through the apartment.

We got to a door that's painted purple with a rainbow painted on the top of the door. He knocked but got no response.

"Kristen please open the door." He said. We got no answer so he knocked again.

"Kristen your friend Carmen is here. She wants to talk to you." He said, but yet again we got no response.

"Just go in try and talk some sense into her." He said walking away.

"Wait, I never got your name." I said.

"Rob" He said as he went back downstairs.

I nodded and looked back at the door again. I sighed collecting myself and opened the door. Kristen's room was dark so I couldn't really see anything. I slowly groped around till I found Kristens bed. Once I found it I felt her body wrapped up in a mountain of blankets.

"Kristen" I said and poked her.

"Come back later." She moaned and rolled over.

"Kristen come on wake up, talk to me, please? Your dad is worried." I said.

Kristen rolled back over and I saw her face. Even though it was dark I could tell she has been crying. Her eyes are puffy and red.

"Why is he worried?" She asked.

"He said you haven't come out of your room since Sunday. Kristen what happen?" I asked sitting closer to her.

"I gave Taylor an ultimatum, get help or we break up." Kristen said.