Chapter 5

I didn't want to wake up. Everything was peaceful, quiet. I had no problems, no worries, no stress. This place was heaven. I needed to go back, but it was nice to be here for a short time. I opened my eyes. Everything was dark. I blinked a few times and looked around. Was I blind? Did Andrew take yet another thing away from me?

"Hello?" I said. I felt something wet on my forehead. I reached up and pulled a wet cloth off my forehead.

I tried to sit up but couldn't. I was met with an overwhelming dizziness and a pounding headache. It felt like I got hit by a mac truck. I groaned and layed back down.

"Good you're awake." Someone said.

"Who are you?" I asked my head was spinning.

"It's Gabby, do you remember what happened Carmen?" She asked I could feel her hand on my forehead where I was hit looking over the damage. I tried to look for those blue eyes I have grown to love but the pounding in my head prevented me from opening my eyes for too long.

"Yea, where am I?" I asked. I closed my eyes because I couldn't stand the dizziness anymore.

"Your house. After what happened in the parking lot, I picked you up and drove you home." Gabby said.

I nodded and started to feel sleepy again. I was ready to fall asleep when something cold was put on my face.

"It's an ice pack to help keep the swelling down. Someone keeps calling your cell. It comes up as 'The Human Lie Detector'." Gabby said.

This day just went from bad to worse. Doctor Lloyd is my emergency contact for school after my parents because she's really like the closet thing we has to family here in Dalton. I just hope they didn't tell her what happened already.

"What time is it?" I ask.

"It's about 10:30pm, they're calling again." Gabby said.

"Answer it, put it on speaker." I said.

I was not really looking forward to this conversation. Alexis is like a second mom to me. But she is WAY more protective.

"Carmen are you okay?" she asked. Hearing her voice made me break.

"Alexis, I need you." I said.

"I'll be there as soon as I can honey, just hang tight." Alexis said.

I reached up and felt my pillow pet mom gave me for Christmas last year. I pulled it into my chest and tried to hold myself together till Alexis got here. I pulled the ice pack off my face and threw it somewhere in my room. I crawled into ball and clutched onto the pillow. But I couldn't hold back my tears anymore.

My mind was racing, replaying the punch over and over again. But other monster memories were starting to get mixed in. Ones that I kept buried deep in my mind, and had them under lock and key. Looks like I need a new lock. The first time Andrew beat me started to play in my mind. How he held me down against my will, the way his thumbs pressed down on my throat making it hard to breathe. In that moment I wasn't sure if I would ever see my parents again. I kept trying to focus on my breathing but the more he pressed into my neck the more my vision went black and the more I wanted everything to end.

I must have fallen asleep at some point because I woke up screaming. I felt the bed dip and someone touched my arm. Acting on instinct I moved away.

"Carmen it's okay, I'm here."

"Alexis?" I said and opened my eyes.

"Yes Carmen it's me. I'm turning on the lights." Alexis said.