Chapter 4

Chapter 4

"Okay," I take my ruler hit it against the whiteboard. Luke sits on my bed, yawning and dressed only in a pair of boxer shorts. I kinda got used to seeing him bare-chested, but the undeniable attraction hasn't faded at all the past week. If anything, it just grows stronger.

"This is the layout of the entire ground floor of our house."

"Why did you have to wake me up at eight in the morning on a Saturday?" He complains lying down.

"Because," I pull him up, "A plan decided to form itself in my brain at eight in the morning on a Saturday."

I circle the room at the left side of the layout on the board. "This is my dad's study, where he completes all the work he needs to do at home."

Luke groans loudly and falls back against my bed. I smack his chest and he jolts up, "Ow!"

"Concentrate," I say, "Just yesterday, his boss gave him a very important assignment that he needs to hand in by Monday, or he will get fired."

"How do you know all this?" He asks credulously, finally paying attention.

"Because I am an expert on eavesdropping," I grin, "So, he keeps the folder containing the assignment on the top drawer of his cabinet. I am going to go in am steal it while you cover me."

"When?"

"Right after I'm done giving the instructions."

"Which is now?"

"I'm not done giving the instructions!" I exclaim. He shuts up.

"We'll hide the folder in your room because my dad obviously won't look there. Your mom cleans the study every morning. So after that, we say things like, "Oh I saw Elizabeth Mary in your study earlier." That will make them have a huge fight- step one to getting a divorce."

Luke nods, "Okay but next time, its your dad who's getting blamed for something he didn't do."

. . .

"Can you please walk softer?" I ask Luke as he literally storms down the stairs.

"Do I have to? I don't think anyone is awake now."

"Exactly why you should stop stomping! You'll wake them up."

He runs down the rest of the stairs, making even more noise. Once he's down, he smiles at me, "No more noise now."

I want to strangle him.

I tiptoe down and lead him towards the study, "If my dad or Elizabeth Mary comes down, just knock twice on the door."

He nods, so I run into the study. This is the least decorated room in the entire house. A large cabinet sits in the corner of the room and a large desk with papers scattered all around lies in the middle of the room.

I walk towards the cabinet and pull open the top drawer. It slides open noisily and I wince.

Inside is a single pink folder. I grab it and slowly close the drawer back. Suddenly, the study door is knocked twice and my eyes widen.

I run out of the study as though there's a dragon at my heels. I find Luke standing outside, his hand covering his mouth to stiffle his laughter.

I put my hands on my waist and glare at him for awhile before smacking him behind his head.

"Why'd you knock when nobody was coming?"

He holds his stomach, "To see you run out like you did."