Chapter 15

A/N

Again, this isn't edited so forgive my grammar mistakes.

Chapter 15

"This is it," Luke declares, looking from his phone to the unit number engraved into the metal plate on the apartment door. "This is my dad's apartment."

His hand grips the phone a little too tightly and sweat appears on his forehead as he reaches up to ring the doorbell. He exhales deeply and throws his head back, closing his eyes. He's extremely nervous and I don't blame him.

The door creaks open and a man steps out. He smiles at Luke, "Hey, son. You've grown so much since the last time I saw you!"

Luke's father is a handsome man who has the same dimpled cheeks, defined cheekbones and jawline, and electric blue eyes as Luke. The only difference is that he has light blonde hair while Luke's is a dark colour.

"Dad," Luke nods, setting his jaw into a hard line.

Luke's father envelopes his son in a hug. Luke doesn't hug him back the way he does to me; sweet, warm, gentle. Instead, he is stiff, cold, guarded, and weary.

When they pull away, Luke's dad notices me for the first time.

"Hi," He holds out a strong hand for me to shake, "I'm Collin Calmberg. You are?"

"Caroline Hanri," I grasp his hand and pump it twice before releasing it, "Luke's stepsister."

"Oh," A frown comes over his face, "Not to seem rude, but how come Luke brought you?"

"I didn't have the strength to meet you alone," Luke says, saving me from answering. "Her mom left her too, so she knows what I'm going through."

I turn away so that they can't see the warmth settling on my cheeks. When I turn back, Mr. Calmberg looks embarrassed.

"Um, why don't you come in?"

Luke pushes his way through and enters the apartment. I follow behind him with my head down. The apartment is well furnished and simple. Luke takes a seat on the beige couch and I sit beside him, making sure to keep my distance since his father is watching us.

"So what's the deal with you guys?" Collin asks, shutting the door and coming to sit on the chair across from us.

"What do you mean?" I ask, seeing Luke's conflicted face. He doesn't know whether to be angry and upset or forgiving and kind.

"Don't tell me that you two are just stepsiblings because I sure as hell don't believe that," He looks directly at Luke.

Shit, he knows.

"What do you mean?" Luke tries covering up.

"Oh, come on," Collin rolls his eyes, "I can see the way you guys look at each other. It's the way your mother and I used to look at each other."

"Please don't bring mom into this," Luke warns, rubbing his forehead.

Collin puts his hands up in surrender and turn to me, "You guys are dating, right?"

I stare at Luke, wide-eyed, and start laughing. "No," I say in between fake laughs, "There is no way that I will ever date him."

"He knows, Care."

I stop laughing immediately. Well, shit on me. He's going to tell our parents and my father is going to murder me. The ghost of Elizabeth Mary will probably just keep crying while I try to break free of my depression and now with added dread of knowing that our parents will never get divorced because we can't perform operations together and that Luke and I will never get to kiss again and-