Chapter 23

A/N

Sorry if this isn't as good as my other chapters. I just got a new phone and the screen is so much bigger so I'm trying to get used to it. Anyway,  this chapter has not been edited.

Chapter 23

I raise my arm and knock on the door. Caydon doesn't answer it immediately. I have to pace outside for a while before he does, dressed in a t-shirt and boxers.  His eyes widen when they focus on me and he doesn't look so sleepy anymore.

"Caroline?" He asks, as though he can't believe that I'm actually here.

I really shouldn't be here. How could I have been so stupid as to run away from Luke because he confessed his love for me and after everything he had to go through today. I should be thrilled, not scared.

"I need a place to stay," I say.

"What happened?" He asks worriedly.

Yup. I still love that British accent.

"Long story, " I bite my lip. "Can I come in?"

"Of course!" He pulls open the door and I slowly step in.

Only his night light is on and I grin. Cayson can never sleep without the night light on.

"Um," Cayson scratches his head and yawns.  Suddenly, I feel bad for coming over and waking him up. "You can take my bed. I'll sleep on the floor."

"No," I say immediately. "I can sleep on the floor."

He smiles. "Do you really think I'll allow that?"

"Yes," I say.

He shakes his head and points to his unmade bed. "Go sleep."

"Woof," I grin, too tired to argue.

Cayson pulls out a few blankets and put them on the floor. He climbs on top of it and says, "You have to explain to me why you're here tomorrow morning."

I nod and lay my head on his soft pillow. After a few minutes of staring at the dark ceiling, I call out,  "Cayson?"

"Mmm?"

"Do you like me?"

Usually,  I would feel ashamed of asking a question like that,  but not with Cayson. There's a few moments of silence before he replies.

"Yes. I like you more than just a friend."

"Why?" I ask, sincerely confused.

"I don't know." I hear him shifting around. "You're pretty, and smart, and funny, and just amazing."

I frown. "You're wrong. I'm a horrible person."

I'm not being insecure. I'm being honest.

I hear him sigh. "You're tired,  Caroline. We'll talk in the morning, okay?"

I nod and shut my eyes.

. . .

The next morning, after telling Cayson that I came here because Luke and I had a fight, I realize that my dad will probably be worried if he finds out that I'm not home. I beg Cayson to lend me his phone since mine is still at home and call my dad.

When he answers, he sounds worried. "Hello?"

"Dad," I say, "It's me."

"Caroline!" He sighs in relief. "Where are you?"

"Sabrina's house," I lie. "I had to come over last night. I'm sorry for not informing you."

There's a pause. Does he know that I'm lying.