Chapter 6

Chapter 6

"Hey, Luke," I smile, looking up from my toast when I see him come down the stairs. "Ready to go to school?"

"You go ahead first," He says bitingly without looking at me.

I raise my eyebrows, "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine," He mutters pouring himself a glass of milk.

"Are you sure?" I prod, "Because-"

"I said I'm fine, Caroline!" Luke exclaims, his grip on the glass tightening.

"But you-"

"I'M FINE!" He shouts, slaming the glass against the counter. It shatters into pieces. "JUST LEAVE! GO!"

I stare at him, tears filling my eyes and my jaw slanting. "What? I thought we were getting along. I thought we-" My voice breaks and I cut myself off. All my hopes of us actually being a couple is crushed. Crushed.

I swallow the lump in my throat and remind myself that I can't cry.

"You're my stepsister," He says, making my chest contract. "That's all you'll ever be to me."

"What's going on?" My dad exits his study and comes towards us.

"Nothing," I glare at Luke's back, breathing heavily. "Nothing is going on here. Nothing ever was."

I'm pretty sure he knows what I mean about that. because I can hear him take a deep breath. My dad looks extremely confused.

"You know what?" I laugh bitterly at how stupid I was to think that he actually likes me. "I hate you, Luke."

"Care! Don't say that-" Dad starts.

"Don't worry," He still doesn't look at me, "The feeling is more than mutual."

I walk out of the house, filled with anger and disappointment. I slam the door to show it. The doorframe shakes and for a moment I actually hope it collapses. I walk away, wiping the tears that had collected in my eyes.

I hate him.

. . . 

"You're an idiot," Sabrina says after I tell her about my fight with Luke, giving me a pointed look.

My mouth drops open, "What the...me? I-I'm the idiot? Luke was the one who shouted at me! He's the idiot!"

"Both of you are idiots."

I glare at her, "I know why Luke is an idiot, but please enlighten me on why I am one too."

"He likes you, that's why he shouted at you.You're an idiot for not seeing that."

I raise an eyebrow and say sarcastically, "Oh, wow. That makes so much sense. Thanks for clearing it all up, Sabrina."

She hits my arm, "I'm serious. He's afraid of he's feelings towards you. I can tell that Luke is a person who closes himself off just by looking at him, and as far as I know, he opened up a lot to you the past few weeks."

She's right, but I'm not going to tell her that. "So what am I supposed to do now?"

"Give him some space," She waves it off, "He'll come around."