the search

a/n: okay so i'm putting this here to warn people. this chapter may be triggering, as it includes discussions of depression and suicide, as well as a possible suicide. please, if you don't feel comfortable with these topics, skip this chapter and read the next one when it's published. thank you.

other than that... omg please don't kill me guys you're gonna hate me so much
-meli

in the end, only nicholas, sophia, wyatt, and jaeden could make it to the search. oh, and finn as well.

most of the kids in the makeshift search party were opposed to finn coming along, but nicholas argued that it had been finn that had discovered jack's disappearance. plus, if worst came to worst, maybe he would be able to convince jack to not do what everyone was dreading he was going to do.

the truth of it was, it wasn't just finn who had made jack motivated to go to the cliff that night. he was under a lot of pressure from his old friends and his parents to be the perfect child, perfect friend, perfect person to crush on. and even though jack was bi, and he loved the girls, he knew deep down that the boys would always be better for him.

along with all of that, something just wasn't right in his brain. all of his friends and castmates knew that something was off, but they could never place a finger on what it was. and though his problems added fuel to the fire, in the end, it was his dark and isolated thoughts that brought him to the edge.

"where the fuck is he?" finn whispered to himself. jaeden, wyatt, sophia, and nicholas trailed behind him, knowing that finn was aware of where he was going. sophia still held a bit of a grudge against him for dissing jack, but she understood the severity of the situation, and continued the search.

"just stay calm, finn," sophia consoled him. "we'll find him."

the group ventured through the woods, making their way to the edge of the cliff. they said nothing; they had nothing to converse about. they all were just wishing they would find jack before he did something he would hopefully live to regret.

"i love him," finn whispered. "i love him so much and this is my fault for sending him over the edge."

wyatt shook his head. "this isn't your fault. there's something in his brain screaming to self-destruct, and you happened to press the button by mistake."

"that sounds like it was my fault." finn laughed slightly, but it was strained.

jaeden sighed. "man, you're gonna be fine. jack's gonna be fine. we're all gonna live through tonight, and then you two will be together."

the whole group tried desperately to believe that. they wanted to believe it so badly, that by the time they saw the silhouette of a young boy near the edge of the cliff, everyone but finn thought it really all was going to be fine.

"jack?" finn asked, not believing what he was seeing. he could clearly see the outline of jack dylan grazer, his only love, standing on the edge of the cliff. jack turned around, startled to see his friends in front of him.

while the rest of the group stood at least twenty feet away from jack in shock, finn raced forward to where jack was standing. he stopped five feet away, afraid to cause jack to topple off the cliff.

finn knew of the rumors. people said that if you landed just right, you could live through falling (or jumping) off the cliff, but it was complete luck of you did. just like suicide survivors from the golden gate bridge. but if you landed any other way, you'd be dead on impact.

"jack, don't do it," finn spoke shakily.

jack scoffed, crying already. "and why shouldn't i? i don't fit in anywhere anymore, and i'm some piece of gay shit, and the one person who i love, and who says he likes me back, doesn't want to be with me. what have i got left?"

that was when finn lost it. "i don't like you, you idiot, i love you! do you hear me? love you! and if you're a piece of gay shit, i'm the biggest gay shit out there! i want to be with you! forever! jack dylan grazer, i love you so much, and i'll never be able to tell you how much i do! please, just step away-"

"yeah, you're right," jack muttered, just loud enough for finn to hear. "you won't ever be able to tell me how much you love me."

and with his last statement, jack jumped.

a/n: ffs meli what are you doing to these poor readers aghh
i'm sO SORRY
-meli

author: meli
editor: meli
published: may 17, 2017