1.

~The flower that smells the sweetest is shy and lowly~ William Wordsworth

Josephine-

I open up my car door, the cold Tuesday morning air that had nipped at my skin and frizzed my hair up outside, following me inside until I slam the door shut. I run my hands over my face to settle my untamed hair, and start the ignition to let warm air flow through its vents. I shift myself forward to heat my hands, rubbing them together until they are warm enough to function with me, curling my fingers around the steering wheel.

It's the fourth semester at Cascade High School in Washingtons small town Everett, where it's always cloudy and cold. I prefer it that way, comfy sweaters, jeans, and boots fit my personality well. Laid back and simple. Pulling into the parking lot at school, I spot Shawn's Chevy truck, and pull my old volts-wagon into the empty space beside her. Shawn and Olivia are sitting inside the truck, probably waiting for me. I gather my school bag from the passengers seat, and kick my stubborn door open, the angry wind no help. I watch as my friends exit the truck, Olivia's lips in a frown.

"I'm getting sick and tired of all this wind and rain, it's killing me." Olivia sighs when she's close enough for me to hear, and slings her flower printed backpack over her shoulder with a huff.

Shawn shoves her keys into her bag as she catches up with us, her black, shoulder lengthed hair whipping around in the wind. I adjust my glasses on the bridge of my nose as she skips to my side.

"How are you this morning?" She asks me, always the person to greet properly. Always happy, and always peppy. That's something I love about her, she can cheer you up with just a simple conversation.

"I'm fine, you?" I ask her, and hang my head down to fight against the wind as we walk up to the school building.

"Great. Have you seen Tyler this morning, or heard from him?" She asks me, and I simply shake my head no, deciding against being sarcastic and informing her that she had seen me pull into the lot, and I couldn't have possibly seen him this morning.

Pushing through the school building doors, we escape the chilling weather, being wrapped in the slightly warm air inside.

"Hello ladies." I jump, startled as Tyler approaches us from the side, making me laugh softly as he begins to keep stride with us. His light green eyes glance over all three of us, until finally smiling down to me while running a hand through his dirty blonde hair.

"You look just slightly grumpy this morning." He teases me, nudging my side with his elbow, his hands shoved in his jacket pockets.

"Grumpy? I'm fine." I pass him a small smile, only feeling a bit tired more than anything. I was up late studying for a test last night.

"Knowing Jo, it's because she was up all night studying for something she already studied for in the first place." Olivia speaks up from beside me. I shake my head in denial even thought my friend was correct in her assumption.

"Now Josephine, let me ask you something." Tyler changes the subject, and his smile is mischievous as I glare at him for using my full name.

"Are your parents home yet?" He asks.

"No, why?" I wonder.

My parents are both lawyers, and you can see that in our house. In the fancy curtains and couches and hutches. They are both gone on business trips, different places, basically different lives. So it's just me and my dog, home alone in my huge house for the past week, and one more to go.

"Because I say we have a little hang out, just us four. What do you say?"

"I don't know, Tyler. I need to study for-"