17

don't forget to vote :D

Sometimes I forget that there are things out in this wretched world that are fragile. That there are people who live and breath that are breakable.

Breakable people at my village didn't survive. You learn to be strong or you fail to see another day. 

The sun was setting, and as the old witch found her way back to her hut, the wolf king appeared. The witch walks away, but not without saying something along the lines of, good luck.

I don't know whether it was directed at the wolf king or me.

Maybe both.

Maybe no one at all.

+++

I saw children playing. Actually playing. On the way back to the castle.

The king had asked if I wanted to go for a walk. I'd said yes. 

Get close. Get close. Get close.

There was still just enough light to see. See the children playing.

I don't remember the last time I saw children being children.

We went to school (if we were lucky), we fought for food, clothing and then we slept in whatever nook or cranny we had won that night.

There were no damn children playing.

But here they were, little children, bounding and playing and laughing. They looked surprisingly human. More human than the children back at my village at least.

All the children back at my village have a look in their eyes like they had already lived life and were ready to go. Leave.

When I think these thoughts, I think about how incredibly easy it will be, to watch this kingdom crumble.

+++

I had stared too long at the children, my fingers clenching and unclenching at my sides.

The king's eyes flickered over me. The gold scraps in his eyes burned. 

But instead of saying anything about it, he states, "I know it may be....Hard for you. To adjust to this." It sounds like it pains him to say it. He doesn't elaborate why he said it. And I don't respond. I'm too tired to be civil to him today. Maybe tomorrow.

"It is customary for the new queen to spend a month of solitude with her mate to grow accustomed to this way of life. And then she usually starts her lessons."

My eyes shoot to him, if he even dares-

"Calm down little fox. I now know that is not the way to go with you. You will continue your lessons with Anula until she deems you fit for the coronation."

I don't look him in the eyes. Some answers though. Some answers. Good.

"So that's the old witch's name."

He laughs, it's deep and almost calculated-sounding like he doesn't quite know how to do it. 

"I hope to Luna you did not call her that. You will have a hard couple months if you did sweet fox."

I do not think this wolf king knows of hardships. If I have food and a bed, it doesn't matter who I talk to. It may be the easiest months of my life.

+++

The sun has almost completely fallen now, and I notice we are nowhere near the castle.

"Where are you really taking me wolf king? Sick of me so soon?"