24

don't forget to vote! :D

Sometimes I feel as though I could breathe back the life into those that I've lost. That my mother may not have been dead for eternity, just a few moments before she gasps for air. Alive, tired, but alive.

I have that dream a lot, and in my dreams, she isn't the ruined corpse the wolves left her. She is whole, radiant as the Six Goddess's own creation.

But those are dreams. Sad useless, pitiful dreams and yet it hurts, all the same, to be ripped from them when dawn comes.

+++

"Stop staring at space girl, or you'll never see your crown!" Anula screeches. 

"There's no possible way this oh so intriguing lesson could be done outside?"

"It's pissing rain out Lillian. I can't have His Majesty ripping off my head if you get sick."

Shrugging, I continue to stare out the small window in the study. Up until this point, it had been a room I avoided if just for the aura it gave off. It felt like the tree itself was pushing me away from this room. My stomach flips and turns from being in here.

It is one of those strange days in spring, where instead of the soft sun, rain is hard and never ending. It's been like this the whole week. And it has done nothing to lift my mood. 

The gathering of the five kingdoms is this coming weekend and I'm not sure I'm prepared.

"The dragon king has just recently found his mate, and you need to be aware of how to act around her. The Queen is above all else in the kingdom of the dragons. They take extra care of who and what she comes in contact with."

"I doubt I'll be touching her so I don't see exactly why this is relevant," I keep my voice bored.

But I know who the new dragon queen is, I heard her name. Human like me, but before she became the queen of dragons, she was known as, the queen of blood. 

"If you wish to talk to her, you must talk to the king first. To make direct conversation with her without first getting a pass with the king would be seen as a grave insult."

I sneer, "It almost seems like she has less freedom than me."

Anula rolls her eyes, "The king, while above the queen in rank, is not above her in importance. To lose a king before a queen in the dragon kingdom, is horrible, to lose a queen before a king, could result in chaos. It is merely a safety issue."

"I'm almost thankful I got a wolf instead of a dragon."

Anula's laugh is clipped, "I wouldn't be too sure Lillian, in my opinion, the mates of dragon shifters tend to be treated the best, and with the most respect. I'm almost surprised you weren't paired off with one."

"Almost?"

"Your connection to the forest is too strong to be wasted on those beasts," she states with her nose up high. 

'like the wolves aren't' I think bitterly. 

I sat there for two more hours as Anula drones on and on about the history of dragon shifters. If I didn't know any better, I'd say she was obsessed.

+++

"Men have the habit of ruining everything they touch," I say. My voice always so soft around her. 

She laughs, "Gods Lillian, you are nothing but a bitter old witch I swear upon it." 

I watch Rose has her laughter dies down. She is such a strange beauty to behold. Her dark curled hair and bright eyes. Always searching. For what? I fear I'll never know.