Hibiki Kudo: Hidden Devil of the Sand

Ari's POV

"Dammit, Vi, stop!" 

My fingers latched tightly around the collar of her shirt, I attempted to drag her to a halt, my heels digging mercilessly into the shifting sand that refused to give me any sort of traction. The stuff hated me, always getting in my mouth and chaffing in all the worst places. Maybe Shukaku didn't like me hugging Gaara, and this was my punishment...?

....Nah. That'd be too overdramatic of me, don't ya think?

People were staring. Not that that was unusual. We always caused a scene when we were let out in public. But the snide snickers were getting on my nerves. Uncurling the death grip of one hand, I raised it to the nearest dude's face and flicked up one specific finger. Now, usually I'm not that rude. But desperate times called for desperate measures, and it sure as hell got my point across: Snickering Snooty-Pants and his gang of wonder freaks lost their amused smirks and marched off, all huffin' and puffin'. 

A smile split my cheeks. Good to know I still had the important ability to piss people off.

Anywho, Vi wasn't stopping for anything, and even my strength (a total knock-off of Lee-kun's) wasn't enough to keep her put. She just dragged me around behind her while she roamed the crowded streets in search of Kankuro. I felt kinda bad for the guy. All she liked to do was tease him, and all he wanted was... well, Violet. She was just too damn blind to see it. 

All us sisters were like that though. Probably why we never had boyfriends back in reality.

When it became clear any and all attempts to stop this derailed train of fluffy pinkness were futile, I sighed. Guess I gotta do something drastic, eh? Digging one heel as far into the sand as it would go without causing me to lose my balance, I shifted my weight backwards, still stuck on Violet like Ash on Pikachu, flowed just a pinch of chakra into my arms, and pretty much sumo-slammed my sister over my head and into the ground.

Dusting off my hands, I stood proudly over my dazed sissy while onlookers gawked. Well, let 'em do what they wanted. It's not like we were influenced by all those fearful stares or anything. We all knew it was too late to return to that quiet place known as sanity (as much as Scar denied it). So we just reveled in the brainless fun of it all.

"Ready to listen now, Violet?" I asked.

She crawled into a sitting position, hand held to her forehead. She sniffed. "How mean, Ari!" she whimpered. "I just wanted to catch up to Kitty-chan!" She pointed spastically behind me even though I continued to not look.

"Violet, c'mon, you know he's not in the Village, right?" 

"Yup."

"Eh?" 

She smiled cutely, that adorable little twinkle in her reddish-brown eyes. "Of course I know he's not here, silly!" she sang, jumping to her feet. "I'm chasing Kitty-chan. I've been feeding him milk for the past week, since Sensei and I found him on the way back from training."

My frown deepened as the embarrassment set in. "Ah... you mean the night I passed out from eating a shit-load of ramen, and Scar had to drag me home cause she wouldn't let Sensei touch something so 'inexcusably disgusting'?"

Vi bobbed her head happily.

I sank further into my sudden anime-inspired depression. If you looked closely, you could see the totally epic doom lines wavering around me. "So you get a cat, Scar gets to seem all cool and mature in front of Sensei, and I get a lump on my head from when Scar accidentally pulled me over a ginormous rock. Nice. Reaaallll nice."