Hey, Soul Sister

Ari's POV

I was more than just a little speechless.

Not just because my throat was all cut up from screaming for an indefinite amount of time (AKA two thousand eternities); moreso because I had no freaking clue where I was anymore.

One second I'm getting the chakra (and probably the pee) sucked out of my by Obito's craptastic ritual, the next, I'm lying curled up in the fetal position in a misty (that part wasn't new) landscape. The sky was vacant, cloudless, but colored an expressive gray that very aptly described my mood at the moment. No sun beat down on me, which explained why shivers kept rolling across my exposed skin and my breath clouded the air each time my chest heaved.

I couldn't catch my breath, couldn't calm down my spazzing heart.

Slowly, I unfurled myself from my cramped position, stretching out legs that felt like they'd been put through Germany's bootcamp (I'm just proud to say I wasn't whining like Italy). And then came the Charlie Horse.

"Oh holy flipping shit, that freaking hurts! What the frack did I doooooo to deserve this?! Someone just freaking shoot me, goddamn. Goddamn, goddamn, goddamn! Ow, ow, ow, ow, ow, ow! Shit, flipping shit!"

I was rolling around on the ground, hugging my knee to my chest, my burning calf held between trembling hands as I moaned in what had to be complete agony. Don't ask me how I got such a spastic muscle cramp after doing practically shit-nothing; it just happened. Maybe it was all that badass fighting from before catching up to me...

Either way, it hurt. A lot. Note my excessive use of cuss words. They indicate my level of pain.

(It was over 9000)

"I'm surprised you can feel pain here."

I stopped rolling around like a Pokeball on its last legs and slowly turned to face the owner of the newest voice. I wasn't sure what to expect, really, because the last like twenty times someone new had come into the picture, they were trying to kill me. And I just didn't know how to feel about that.

My eyes widened to the point where I feared they'd pop out of my head. Then I'd have to get those weird glass eyes that everyone knows are fake and I'd be stared at (for all the wrong reasons, this time) for the rest of my life but I wouldn't be able to tell, cause my six sense of "I know exactly when you're creeping on me even though my back is turned to you" has never actually beeen that great. And that wouldn't be fun for anyone.

Kami, I'm getting seriously off-track again. Sorry, not sorry (but - plot twist - I'm actually sorry).

"Oh, are you feeling alright? You look a little constipated..."

I shook myself, interrupting my creepy stare-down and jolting myself from my mindless stupor. I wasn't dreaming (probably). The girl kneeling in front of me, concerned, tentative smile playing at her lips... it was her. It was really her.

Rin Nohara.

She looked unchanged (and by that I mean she looked exactly like she had in the Naruto episode where Obito "dies"), her feathery brown hair cut to chin, sparkling brown eyes, framed by gorgeous black lashes, warm and expressive, soft smile that metled many an idiots' heart. Even the blocky purple markings on her cheeks were exactly the same. 

The only thing different was her outfit.

Instead of the black shirt and apron-thingy, she wore a delicate pink kimono that looked vaguely familiar to me. And her feet were bare, something that struck me as odd, enough to do a double take when I was giving her a quick look-see.