7

I got dressed for the Presidential Medal of Freedom ceremony and dinner at Steve's place. It was just easier to. The dress was black and had thicker straps and had a straight neckline. It was tight, something I would have never worn seventy years ago. I could still remember the days when I'd look into the mirror and see something I hated. Time has helped those insecurities and of course the super soldier serum had too. Sometimes I still have that list of things I would change about my appearance. But this dress made me feel good, one of the main reasons I bought it. It went down to a little above my knees, and was a coarse material. I matched some black sandal heels with it. They made me taller, almost close to Steve's height. I curled my blonde hair and had kept in the blue contacts. I put on the round glasses, and I felt like they ruined the look, but the President had met me before. I hopefully he didn't look at me too closely.

Steve was getting dressed in his old army uniform. He hadn't put it on since before the ice. He had just stepped out of the shower when I was tugging my dress on. I finished with my make up and walked out of the bathroom to see him getting ready. He was getting ready to tie his tie. He stopped what he was doing and looked at me all dressed up.

"You look—wow—you look stunning Anna," he stammered catching sight of me.

"Thank you, you don't look too bad yourself." I told him with a smile. I approached him, and took the untied tie in my hands. I started to mess with it, tying it myself.

"You're nervous," I stated and Steve watched my hands tie his tie.

"Yeah, it's not everyday you meet the President. I don't want to make a fool of myself."

"You won't." I assured, "Want to tell me what else is troubling you?" Of course I already knew, I didn't even have to read his mind to know. I finished with his tie but kept my hands on his chest. His hands covered mine, holding them lightly. His thumbs mindlessly smoothing over my knuckles. He lifted my hand up and kissed it.

"I don't know—I just..." he fell silent unable to finish the sentence.

"You think you don't deserve this. Or that you shouldn't be the only one up there."

"Yeah I guess,"

"Steve, look at me." I told him bring his eyes up to meet me.

"You deserve all of this. You've saved the world, you've sacrificed everything. You deserve this award, and yeah, you didn't do it alone, but that doesn't lessen your accomplishments. You've earned this, whether or not you feel like it." I assured him, I walked over and grabbed the rest of his uniform for him. He put the jacket on and buttoned it. I picked up the other medals and promotions he's earned and he pinned them on. Once he was done, he looked at himself in the mirror, but he didn't see himself. He just saw Captain America, not Steve Rogers.

"Come on, your pins are still messed up. Colonel Phillips would have had a fit if he saw how uneven they are." I mentioned with a half smile straightening them out. He gazed down at me unsurely. I brought my arms around him, my hands played with the collar on the back of his suit. He wrapped his arms around my waist and held me.

"Come on you're going to late to your own show." I gave him a soft kiss on the lips before heading out the bedroom door. He sighed and followed me out the door. I squeezed his hand in the car, he was holding his breath.

"You can do this. You deserve this Steve." I reminded him again and we were off.

Once at the ceremony, I played the supportive girlfriend, a role I could do easily even if I hadn't had much practice in the position. The ceremony was easy, and minimally interesting. I sat alone, and clapped as the president said something about each honoree. I clapped when I needed to and kept a smile on my face. I only checked my watch once. It was about one in the afternoon. The Lumarian Star had set sail. Batroc would infuriate it tomorrow, and Steve would be off to stop him in the morning. And after that...well, let's just say I wanted to milk each moment I still had with him.