10

As soon as I got to the call from Maria, I called Natasha. Fury was something like a father figure to her and I figured she would want to see him. I knew bringing her in to see him would possibly mean bringing her into this whole operation, and I was fine with that. I trusted Natasha. Steve was hesitant to trust her, but was perfectly willing to try. He respected her and that was a step. They worked well together and I saw no reason why they couldn't get the job done.

When I to the hospital my hair was barely brushed and I was wearing jeans and a white button up. I didn't look that nice but I could change later. It hardly mattered. I rushed over to speak to Maria privately.

"There's a GFS truck out in the backlot. It's for you to move him and medical equipment needed to a water main treatment outside of the city. You have the coordinates right?" I whispered and she nodded. "Dr. Sullivan is on board with the plan. Take a small team if needed be, but you know that the smaller the better. I'll be in touch. Feel free to message me if you need anything else. I'll try to have it sent your way."

"Okay,"

"Good luck,"

"I don't need it nearly as much as you do." She told me excusing herself to talk to someone else. I walked into the observation room, watching Fury's surgery. Steve was there, he glanced over at me but said nothing. Natasha came bursting into the room.

"Is he gonna make it?" She asked breathlessly.

"I don't know." Steve answered honestly.

"Tell me about the shooter."

"He's fast. Strong. Had a metal arm." And with those last couple words he looked over at me. Natasha's mouth dropped almost unnoticeably, but I knew something insider her ached with that description. Maria took a step next to me and we all watched the horror scene.

"Ballistics?" Natasha asked

"Three slugs. No rifling. Completely untraceable."

"Soviet made," Natasha finished.

"Yeah," Maria said surprised, she looked over at Natasha just as the monitor connected to Fury's heart start to beep. He was flatlining.

"Don't do this to me, Nick," Natasha whispered to herself. The surgeon and nurses scrambled around the room. They called for a defibrillator. They sent shock waves through him twice. No pulse. I watched from the corner of my eye Natasha mouthing, "don't do this to me". I hoped it was the Tetrodotoxin B working and nothing else. At 1:03 they declared him dead.

"I have to go," I whispered to Maria. I needed to get to Pierce and see what I could do. She nodded understandingly and I left the room. As I walked down the hallway someone grabbed my shoulder .

"Hey, where are you going?" Steve asked concerned and turning me around.

"Work, I have a lot more to do now." I answered stepping away from him.

"Can we talk?" He requested in a soft voice. He glanced up from his shoes to my face.

"Not right now. I can't." I kept putting more space between us. He'd take a step forward and I'd take two back.

"Anna, please." He begged and he turned those stupid blue eyes on me. And sometimes I think they take up his whole face. He set his hands on his hips, waiting for me to say something.

"What did Fury say to you?" I asked turning my head around to see if there was anyone else in the hallway with us.

"He said don't trust anyone."

"I wonder who he meant by that. You better watch yourself Steve. Tread carefully." I warned him crossing my arms.

He furrowed his eyebrows at my comment and his jaw set. "What do you mean by that? Am I not safe with you?" His last words dripping with hesitant venom.