11

I had some time to kill, not much, but it was enough. Last night I was able to program a new system for the Helicarriers. I was lucky I didn't have to write a new algorithm, that would have taken too long. All I did was create a program that would allow a certain user to choose the targets. There would be no threat analysis, no fancy algorithm, just a manual choosing. I had gotten my latest degree just a few years ago in Computer Science. It seemed blindingly clear technology was the future so I jumped on that ship. I got a degree in Computer Science and learned how to program software, develop websites and applications, the whole nine yards. I was certain I did the programing right, but I had my work checked by some level one technician. She didn't ask any questions.

Making the microchips was harder. It took a lot longer, it was time I didn't have. I needed them right now. Most chips were made in a factory, but these Helicarrier ones were special of course. I called up our top computer engineers.

"Good morning Agent Elder," Dr. Guido said shaking my hand. He had dark, but graying curly hair. He had rectangle classes that sat crooked on his face. His co-worker, Dr. Ada, was much younger than he was. She had her hair pulled back in a tight bun. Her hands were manicured, and her eyes were calculating. She technically was an electrical engineer, but she developed some of the Helicarrier computer hardware, so I had every faith in her. Together they had made top of the line computer hardware. And I needed them to do it but in only a couple days.

"Good morning, Dr. Guido and Dr. Ada. I called you two in for a quick meeting because I need you help." I folded my hands on top of my desk. "I understand that you two were integral parts of programing the helicarriers."

"Yes ma'am, we didn't do the programing so much as the building." Dr. Guido replied pushing his glasses up on his face.

"That's perfect." I took the time to turn my head and look at them both in the eye. I had their full attention. By then I had already read their minds. They were clean of HYDRA.
"I need you two to make three more microchips for the Helicarriers." They blinked at me funny, like they didn't hear me correctly. The Helicarriers didn't need any new microchips.

"May I ask why?" Dr. Ada asked sitting up straighter now.

"It's simply just in case. I have the program for the chips right now."

"Oh," Dr. Ada let out still confused and slightly suspicious.

"We need to make sure we have backups if anything happens."

"Yes, of course" Dr. Guido agreed nodding his head.

"But before I leave you two to it, I have one last request." I admitted straightening my uniform. The both waited for me to continue. "I need these chips ready to go as soon as possible. By tomorrow at the latest."

"What? It–it can take a month! It's not even our design! I'm sorry Agent Elder, but this is impossible!" Dr. Guido exclaimed in a panicked tone.

"I wouldn't have asked you two to do something if I thought you couldn't do it. I know both of you are perfectly able to get this done. You know how to process them, you created them. I need you to do this." I pleaded looking them both in the eyes.

"I don't think it's possible."

"Dr. Ada, of course it is. I need you to do this for me. You could be creating something life changing."

"Why do you really need these done?" Dr. Ada pushed. She was extremely suspicious of my request now.

"Because I believe that someone put something wrong on those Helicarriers and I need to replace that chip. If I don't, millions will die. I need you to trust me." They looked at each other communicating.