14

I stayed up most of the night dying my hair back to the right color. I left the compound and walked a couple blocks in the dead of the night. It was probably stupid, I didn't tell anyone where I was going and HYDRA was out looking for us. It took a couple hours to finish. And I also bought some cheap plastic rollers like I used to use. Before I went to sleep I put them in my hair. Sleeping on them was oddly comfortable, like I was going back to what I used to know.

I only had time to sleep for maybe two or three hours before I had to wake up. I got into my uniform, and took out my hair from the rollers. I brushed out my curls, and stared at myself in the mirror. I looked 20 again. My hair was brown and in those wide 40s curls. All I needed was my old army uniform, and I was back to 1940-something.

I went to the kitchen to make myself some breakfast. I put some bread in the toaster and cracked a couple eggs on a frying pan. I sipped on a glass of water as I stirred the scrambled eggs.

"I almost didn't recognize you." A voice remarked making me turn my head. Steve approached the small counter.

"Oh yeah, well I just wanted to go back to being me I guess." I told him stirring the eggs. I picked up the bread from the toaster. Steve put in some. I put my eggs on a plate and cracked a couple more to scramble.

"You look nice." He commented with a small smile. He poured himself some water from the small sink.

"You do like the brown."

"Well you're right, it is more you." He agreed taking a sip. I stirred the eggs. "I haven't seen this hair style on you since before the war." He leaned against the counter, studying me. I pushed my hair behind my ear, fidgeting under his gaze.

"Well, this is how he remembered me." I mentioned lightly. His eggs were almost done. I grabbed another plate. I could feel his stare still on me. I didn't know what to think of it.

"If you keep staring at me Rogers, I'll burn your eggs on purpose."

"No, Anna you didn't have to make me them." He said taking his toast out of the toaster. I filled his plate with the scrambled eggs and pushed it his way.

"Eat up, you'll need it."

"Your hair just brings back memories, you know?" He explained still standing next to me. He added some salt and pepper to his eggs.

"Yeah, when I looked in the mirror this morning I almost thought I was back in 1940-something." I lamely agreed. I grabbed my plate and glass of water. Nudging his arm I said, "I'll see you soon, we roll out in an hour."

"Yeah, yeah." He quickly said. He looked like he wanted to say something else to me. And I wanted him to spit it out so badly. I looked him in the eyes, hoping to squeeze it out of him. I turned to walk away and as I did he called my name.

"Anna, wait." He said with a hint of gentleness to it. Involuntarily my heart picked up it's pace a bit. I turned back towards him careful not to say anything or show any emotion.

"I think I owe you an apology."

"For what?" I asked unsure myself. He set down the plate on the counter and crossed his arms. He didn't look me in the eyes as he thought out his next words.

"For last night. I shouldn't have asked you about having other plans. I should have just trusted you."

"It's fine, Steve. Forget about it."

"No, I can't. You know I can't." He emphasized scratching his forehead just to move his body. I did know he couldn't let things go. It came with the serum, and it came with the fact Steven Rogers was the most stubborn man in the world. I walked towards him and put my plate and cup down on the counter next to his. His head was down and I lightly touched his arm.