Chapter II: The Big Picture

Emma Swan sat at the corner booth in the back; perfect for avoiding the eyes of other customers and being out of the way. She had her hand in her hands, rubbing her temples as she tried to clear her mind. She just wanted one second of peace she deserved.

"Emma!" she heard behind her, causing her to jump and lose her tranquil state. Henry jumped in the seat across from her and smiled. She couldn't help herself, this kid was adorable. She was starting to love his presence, what little bit of it she could get.

"Hey, kid. Are you ready to get to school soon?" she asked, checking the clock on the wall to make sure he had time to eat.

"Yep!" Ruby came over and wrote down his order of pancakes and her order of cocoa with toast. "I'm really excited to have Miss Blanchard back. Speaking of, now that we've solved this case, we can get back to Operation Cobra."

Emma felt her entire body sigh. The curse. If she didn't hear one more mention of it, it would be too soon. She was starting to doubt Dr. Hopper's advice about 'just going with' this language of his. Sure, it was creative. And even a little cute. But how long was she supposed to keep this up? How long was he supposed to keep this up? Wasn't this kind of stuff dangerous after a certain age? But what was more damaging: letting him continue to think this way, or destroying his delicate mind-state? She decided on the latter.

"Right. Operation Cobra. What's new now?"

"There's another story in my book."

She looked up, genuinely surprised. "What? How is that possible? You pretty much have that thing memorized. How did you miss an entire story?"

He pouted, insulted by her lack of faith in him. "I didn't! Remember how it went missing? I think someone added in another story. This one wasn't here before, I promise!" He opened his book to the page while Ruby dropped off their drinks and food. "But the weird thing is, it's not finished."

She gave him a skeptical look as she scooped a bit of the whip cream off of her cocoa with her finger, "What do you mean it's not finished? Who would purposely put a story in your book and forget to add the ending? What story is it anyway?"

"Pinocchio," he said, starting on his breakfast.

"Pinocchio? But everyone knows the end of that story: puppet turns into a real boy because he sacrifices himself for his father." Henry looks up at his mother with a proud smile on his face. "What? I've watched the Disney movies, ok?"

"Ok, ok." Henry looked at his watch and began to scarf down the rest of his pancake. Then he cleared his plate and closed his book, stuffing it in his backpack.

Emma, barely finishing one piece of her toast, looked shocked at her kid's sudden initiative to get to school early. "In a hurry?"

"No, just don't want to be late. Big day today," he said, putting on his backpack.

Emma raised an eyebrow, "Oh really? Care to feel me in?"

Henry cocked his head to the side, studying her face as if he were trying to decide. "No, you're not ready yet."

"Is it for Operation Cobra? Or are you starting a new operation I'm not ready for?"

"It's for Operation Cobra! Just kind of a subsection of it. Don't worry; I'll let you in on it soon." He said, turning to head out the door. "I can walk myself to school. You're still finishing your breakfast. Bye Emma!"

"Bye, Henry," she said, knowing he couldn't hear her since he was already out the door. When she turned around she saw August heading through the back door from the hotel. She sighed, not ready for his entertainment today. She had enough to worry about. She needed to see Mr. Gold and talk with him about her custody battle against Regina. She needed his help if she were going to battle against the Big-Bad Mayor.

August clearly didn't cat the 'screw off' vibe she was trying to send out, because he helped himself to Henry's empty seat across from her. But Emma needed all the allies she could get, so she didn't tell him to leave. "Good morning, August."

"Hello, Emma. Lovely chat with your boy, there? I didn't want to interrupt but there's something that I need to talk with you about." Emma continued drink her cocoa as she waited for him to continue. "You've never going to beat Regina if you don't look at the big picture here."

"Oh yeah?" she asked, skeptically. Sure, August had been loyal to her when she was trying to help Mary Margaret. But there was still something sketchy about him that she couldn't quite put her finger on. Her super power kept picking up some things, but she couldn't exactly piece together what it was that was off. He just had this whole aura about him that screamed hidden agenda.

"You need to let me help you."

To this she raised her brow. How was August the traveling writer supposed to help her in a custody battle? "What are you going to do, write a strongly story in my defense? Thanks, buddy. But I think I'd be better off with Mr. Gold. He might be sleazy, but he knows the law. And he's my only hope."

August suppressed his disappointment. Again, she got the feeling he was hiding something. But he only nodded, "Ok. But if things don't pan out, you know where I'll be."

He got up and left, leaving her alone in her booth for the second time.

***

A few hours later Emma left Mr. Gold's Pawn Shop angry, letting the door slam behind her on the way out. Screw his little bell. Bastard, she thought, battle I can't win my ass. She headed straight for Granny's. Now that was out of options she decided to put her trust in the only person who seemed to have an answer for her.

She knocked on August's door. He didn't look surprised to see her, but she decided overlook this. "I'm out of options. If it will help me beat Regina, I'm willing to see the big picture." August smiled wide.

Suddenly Emma's pocket began to vibrate. She pulled out her phone and noticed the number. "Mary Margaret? Aren't you in class; everything ok?" Concern that her roommate was having a nervous breakdown on her first day back to teaching after everything that had happened clouded her mind.

"No, no. I'm fine. It's Henry." Emma's heart dropped a little; motherly instinct. "He was here this morning, but after recess he never showed back up to class. We've looked everywhere for him. You didn't happen to take him, did you?"

"No, I didn't," Emma whispered. Big day today, his words echoed in her brain. "Do you think Regina might have picked him up?"

"Without letting anyone know? I doubt it. I ran into this morning when she dropped off his lunch. We had a few words about her setting me up for murder, but I don't think she would have done anything to take him right in the middle of the day. No, I think he just left on his own. You know how independent that kid is."

"Yeah," Emma replied, worry building up inside her the longer they talked. "I'll find him. Keep me updated if you hear anything." Emma hung up her phone and put it back in her pocket. "Rain check on that big picture stuff, August. I've gotta go find my kid."

She turned and left, making her way to the staircase. "Wait, Emma, stop- ah!" August hopped back into his room in pain. Emma heard him gasp, but she couldn't stop to see the matter was. She'd notice his leg hurting him the other day, and assumed it was no big deal. Probably just a cramp.

Little did she know that August's leg was turning into wood. 

Once Upon a SupernaturalOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara