Chapter V: The Brothers

Emma wished she could have seen Henry, but she knew that there was no way that was going to happen tonight. Regina had him, and she was sure after the stunt he pulled she wouldn't be letting him out of her sight.

She sighed, just relieved that he was alright- alright because those guys found him. She did believe them; they hadn't lied to her. And what was up with Regina giving them the same threat she had given her? Did Regina see them as big of a threat as she had given her? And if so, why?

She thought back to her trip to Granny's.

***

"Hey Ruby, have you been waiting on those two guys over there?" Emma whispered when she leaned over the counter at the diner. Ruby's eyes looked over to them but Emma called her attention back. "Don't look at them! Just keep looking at me."

Ruby looked confused, "Yeah I have. Sam and Dean. Didn't catch their last name. They're brothers, just drove into town. They arrived with Henry, but he looked like he already knew them. The mayor came in not one minute after they sat down and ripped a hole in their ass. I've been talking to them and they seem really nice. Especially taller one, Sam. Isn't he appetizing? Emma shook her head and laughed her head, wondering how this source for her interrogation had turned into a middle school sleepover. "I call her dibs. You already got the other newcomer."

Emma looked at the boys out of the corner of her eye. She could only see the back of the "taller one's" head. So you must be Sam, and you must be Dean, she thought. She noticed Dean was watching them from the corner of his eye also. Any normal person probably wouldn't have caught it, but she was good at noticing things normal people didn't. Dean was handsome; very handsome actually, almost pretty. Probably used that to get out of quite a few sticky situations.

She turned her attention back to Ruby, "What? What do you mean I already got the other newcomer?"

Ruby gave her best 'seriously?' look. "August. Poor guy hasn't left you alone since he showed up here." Emma shook her head. She had gotten that feeling from August too, but she didn't want to encourage it. He was a friend, nothing more. Besides, he wasn't her type.

"Whatever Ruby. I'll talk to you later. Gotta go interrogate our guests."

Emma walked over to the boys, finally catching a glimpse of Sam, who smiled warmly at her. She looked over at Dean, who gave her a more suggestive smile.

"Hello beautiful." Great, Emma ignored him.

"Sam and Dean?"

"Can we help you, officer?" Sam asked her. That's better, Emma thought, I like this one.

"Yes. Seems there are certain residents in this town who've been complaining about harassment." Emma turned her attention toward Dean. He would be the one more inclined to say something worth complaining about.

He chuckled, but she could tell it wasn't a real laugh. It was a dripping with annoyance and sarcasm. "Yeah, I'm sure in the fifteen minutes we've been in this town we've managed to harass enough people to report us to the cops."

"Sheriff," Emma quickly corrected. Regina may have been mayor, but she was the Sheriff. The face of justice in this town and she was going to make sure these visitors understood that.

"Sheriff. What, did the mayor tattle on us or something?"

Emma could feel the corner of her mouth start to rise in a smile, but she quickly bit her cheek to stop the involuntary muscle. Dean was funny, she had to give him that. But she had to save face. This was an interrogation.