Chapter XX: Code Black

The ambulance wheeled in Henry as he laid lifeless on the gurney. Emma was right next to him, still trying to get through. "Henry, can you hear me? Come on, Henry. Wake up, please. Come on, Henry. You can do it." A nurse pulled on Emma's arm asking her to step aside. "No! I am not going anywhere!"

Finally Dr. Whale appeared, stethoscope and flashlight in hand. "There's no pupil response," he said as he opened Henry's eyes and flashed the light on them. "What happened? Did he fall, hit his head?"

Emma pulled out the turnover she'd bagged and held it up to the doctor. "He ate this. I think it's poisoned."

The doctor went back to inspecting Henry, opening his mouth and checking his throat. "His airway's clear. Did he vomit? Any convulsion or disorientation?"

She was growing impatient. She knew that this whatever it really was the reason for Henry's state. "He took a bit of this and then he just collapsed. So run the test for arsenic or bleach or drano or whatever could've done this to him!"

"The boy is showing no symptoms that would suggest neurotoxins. So whatever's going on, this is not the culprit!" he grabbed the turnover and held it up to her to make his point.

Emma could barely breathe. "Well, what else could it be?" There hadn't been anything wrong with Henry all that day or the day before.

"I don't know. That's what I'm trying to figure out."

"He's going to be ok, though, right?" Emma had never felt this much despair in her life. She'd been on her own plenty of times; her life had been in danger more often than she could remember. But never had she been so concerned over someone else. This wasn't just someone else; this was her son. Her ten year old son who she was supposed to be taking care of. What kind of mother was she?

"Right now we just need to stabilize him, cause he's slipping away. Is there anything else that you can remember? Any little detail?"

She was growing impatient, "I already told you everything. Do something!"

Emma walked over to Henry's bag on the opposite desk and began to dump it out. "Look, I understand you're frustrated, Ms. Swan. I do. But I need something to treat and right now there is no explanation. It's like..."

"Emma?!" She spun around to the sound of Dean's voice.

"Dean!" She watched as Dean walked through the same doors she'd just been through, followed by a team carrying someone on a gurney.

"Emma, what's going on? What's wrong with Henry?" Dean asked once he noticed Henry in the other bed.

"Dean, Dean," she said in a pant as he ran over to her; inspecting her to see if she'd been hurt. "There's something wrong. Henry. He's... there's something wrong!"

"Sam, too." She finally looked to see who it was they were putting on the bed across from Henry. In the same state as Henry. "Emma, what happened?"

She pulled out the bagged turnover. When Dean's eyes landed on the culprit, his eyes narrowed and a low growl left his throat. He pulled out the turnover he'd wrapped in a napkin. Her heart started to beat faster as the realization that this was the reason both her son and Dean's brother were in this state. "Dean, what the hell is going on?"

Dr. Whale approached Dean, "Mr. Winchester, what happened?"

"The same thing that happened to Henry, Doc. Now I need you to do your little medical mumbo jumbo and fix up my little brother pronto. Get whatever the hell kind of poison out of him, now!"