Chapter IV: The Sheriff

Emma had just walked into her office when the phone began to ring. "Sheriff Swan."

"Hello Sheriff," this might have been the first time that Emma was actually relieved to hear the voice on the other line.

"Regina, thank god. Did we find him?"

"I found him, Miss Swan. No thanks to you. He was at the diner. There's something I need you to look into, Sheriff." Emma rolled her eyes, growing impatient with all these little assignments Regina kept giving her. "There are two men in town. I don't trust them; I think they're up to no good."

"And I'm supposed to, what? Bring them into the station and interrogate them because you don't trust them? You made me do the same with August and he turned out sane. I think you're losing you're touch, Madam Mayor," Emma retorted.

She heard Regina sigh on the other side of the line. "Yes, and like August I have a very good reason for my distrust. They were the ones who found my son outside the town line and were with him at Granny's."

Emma's attention was definitely grabbed. Two strangers giving Henry a ride home? That definitely didn't sit well with her. "Ok, who are they?"

"Sam and Dean. They were at Granny's a few minutes ago when I picked Henry up. I want to report a harassment. I trust you'll do your job and do it well. Good day, Miss Swan." Emma heard the click indicating their conversation was over.

Sam and Dean, Emma thought, what are you up to?

***

Dean moved to the other side of the booth where the very audacious waitress had greeted them, giving them a suggestive look that screamed "you must be a couple".

"We're brothers," Dean explained, giving the waitress a smile.

"Ah, I see. Well I'm Roby and I'll be your waitress. You guys are new in town, huh?" she turned her attention to Sam. Dean felt a bit insulted, but the way his brother smiled at the attractive brunette made up for it.

Sam laughed, "Yeah. I'm Sam, this is Dean. We noticed that you don't get many outsiders around here. Especially the way your mayor there seems to welcome people."

"Madam Mayor can be a bit of a prude. But you're right. In fact, from as far back as I can remember we haven't had visitors until a few months ago."

"Really?" Sam said, intrigued. "That doesn't strike you as, strange?"

Ruby contemplated this, but shrugged. "We're a small town, barely on the map. I'm not really surprised. You know how things are in small town. Everyone knows everyone and nothing ever changes."

Sam leaned toward her, trying make the moment a little more intimate. "But that's the thing, Ruby," he whispered. "This town doesn't show up on maps. At all."

Ruby looked at Sam and bit her lip. Dean wondered if Ruby was even listening to his brother. HE cleared his throat, trying to get her attention. "All this talk of maps and travel has my stomach growling. What do you recommend?"

"Granny makes a mean burger if you're into something hearty. There's also lasagna as the special. And if you're craving something sweet we have the best peach pie.

"Oo!" Dean lit up at the mention of pie.

Sam shook his head at his brother's kryptonite. "I'll just have the chicken salad with water."

"Excellent choice," Ruby praised, giving him an extra long smile.

"Always with the rabbit food, Sammy. I'll have that scrumptious burger you were talking about with a beer. Oh, and a slice of that pie afterwards!"