Chapter XI: Face Off

"Rumpelstiltskin."

"Well, it's always nice to make an impression," Castiel thought he heard a tone of disgust in his as he said that. "And who is it that I've called upon?"

He ignored the question, knowing this was a man of names. He looked around the shop, "This piece of land was a forest. Twenty-eight years ago the area disappeared; we couldn't see it anymore. Just, blankness. A lot of angels spent a great deal of time trying to figure out what happened. And now I find myself in a town. A town full of dormant magic. And you," he studied the man standing in front of him. His face was growing impatient and angry the longer Cas talked. "You are very powerful. No, were. Would it be such a reach to assume all of this was your doing?"

Mr. Gold smirked, trying to repress his anger. "I didn't cast anything, friend. This," he gestured around him, "is not my work."

"No," Cas said calmly, cocking his head to the side, "you might not have cast the spell. But you created it. You wanted to get to this world. Why?"

Mr. Gold's expression hardened. "How did you get here?"

"I was invited," Cas replied calmly. "Seems your force field," he caught himself using one of Dean's terms. He smiled to himself. "has a few holes in it. Especially with Emma's presence."

A smile formed on Mr. Gold's face. It looked almost menacing, but Cas wasn't intimidated.

"But if you made the curse," Cas began, putting the pieces together, "you made her the savior. You want her to break the curse."

"True love is the most powerful magic of all." Mr. Gold took a few steps closer. "But I'm afraid the plans didn't call for you and your lackeys. It would be most beneficial to you if you left."

Cas took another step forward, narrowing his eyes, "You may be powerful in your world, imp, but this- this is my world. I have the power here," thunder rolled outside, followed by a few flashes of lightning. A flash of fear appeared in Mr. Gold's eyes, but he quickly composed himself. "I'm here to set the course back. Your magic isn't meant to be here. You're not meant to be here. My allegiance is my own. And I chose to help Emma."

He disappeared. Rumpelstiltskin simmered with rage at the display of power the angel showed.

"Only a matter of time," he thought to himself.

***

"So tell me, Emma," Dean began, starting to finally feel the effects of the alcohol, "how did you go from con artist to sheriff?"

He was impressed with how much was drinking. Obviously she was far from a light weight. Something else they had in common. "Well, after I got out of the clink I spent a good deal of time in Florida. To be honest, I uh- I spent two years just kind of waiting there."

"Waiting? On the Clyde to your Bonnie?" Dean watched as she cringed to his question. This was obviously didn't want to talk about. It was hard for her to pull out the words. He wondered if this was something she'd ever talked to anyone about.

"You mean the rat-bastard? Yeah. That one day it kind of hit me. You know it hit me. You know? What am I doing with my life? So I decided to do something. Take back control over my life. I've been taking care of myself since I was born; I didn't need anyone to make something of my life. But the only thing I'd ever been good at was finding liars and coning people. So, I decided to try my hand at police force. When I found I had a knack at tracking people, I got offered at a Bail Bonds Industry."

"You were a Bail Bonds Man?" Dean chuckled, thinking back to the random ID he'd pulled out earlier today which held the same occupation.

"Bail Bonds Person," she corrected, giving him a smirk, "So I spent the next six years traveling the country. Finding assholes and bringing justice. Until Henry brought me here." She sounded like she was done with her story, though Dean could have sworn that there was a little something more at the end Something she wasn't she wasn't ready to tell. "And what about you? Hunting ghosts doesn't sound like it pays the bills."

Dean chuckled, "I know a few con tricks myself. Nothing I'm willing to share with the Sheriff though."

Emma laughed. "Touché." She was fiddling with her glass, "So, how long are you planning to stay here?"

Dean looked at Emma. He could tell that her asking this question meant a lot. Like him, she was afraid of appearing vulnerable. Of acting like she needed anyone, Of relying on anyone, "Honestly, I don't know. Our work kind of drags us all over the place. But I promise," he said, waiting until she made eye contact with him before he continued, "that I will not leave until I'm certain Henry is okay. You were right. He wormed his way under my skin and I just can't leave without knowing if he's going to be alright. And you know what?" He could see her biting her lip. Henry was her soft spot and he knew he just hit it. So did you. I won't leave until you're ok. I'm here to help. In anyway possible, whether that be breaking a curse, or just being a friend."

The corner of her mouth rose. "How do I know you don't have some hidden agenda? Or that you're just telling me what I want to hear?"

He cocked his head to the side and smiled, "Because if I've learned anything about you, Swan, it's that you can tell when someone's lying." He leaned in a little, "Plus I get the feeling if I even tried to double cross you, you'd kick my ass into next week."

She chuckled, and he found that he liked to make her laugh. He checked the clock. Normally with a chick this cool and gorgeous, he'd be making the moves like crazy. But there was something different about Emma. He wanted to prove himself, he wanted her to trust him. And he had a feeling that if he even tried hitting on her it would cancel out everything he'd just said in her mind.

So he made a decision. He started to get off the stool. "It's uh, after 1. I should probably start to head back to the inn. Let you get to sleep. The Sheriff can't be hungover and late to work," he smiled as they walked to the door.

She stopped a few paces from the door, turning to Dean. "Thank you, for coming over tonight. Your friend- that angel," she still said it as if she were in disbelief, "I was pretty shaken up. Please tell him if he does that again, I'll probably end up shooting him. Even if it won't do anything to him," she said playfully. Dean laughed, noticing that she was a foot in front of him. She was playing with the bottom of her shirt; nervous twitch. She looked up into his eyes, "Tonight was very out of character for me. I don't usually open up to people like that on the first night I meet them. Hell, I don't open up to anyone period."

Dean smiled, looking down at her, "I know what you mean. Tonight was very rare for me, too. Most people don't handle me telling them I've been to Hell the way you did."

She chuckled, "Prudes."

That electricity sparked up again. It was taking everything in his power not to jump on her. Especially when he noticed her look down at his lips, then back at his eyes.

"Goodnight, Emma," he whispered. He nodded, and turned toward the door.

Suddenly, he felt a tug on his shirt, forcing him to turn back around. She pulled him against her faster than he had time to register. Her hands cupped his face as her lips crashed onto his. A second of shock was all it took for him to compose himself enough to kiss her back, wrapping his hands around her waist and pulling her into him.

If heaven was like anything, it would be this.

The door unlatching and opening forcing the pair to jump in surprise. Like two teenagers getting caught by their parents. A woman with very short black hair walked in, equally shocked at the scene she'd just walked into.

"Oh! I'm so sorry," she started, quickly closing the door and walking past them.

Emma was the first to speak up; a little out of breath, Dean noticed. "It's ok Mary Margaret. Um, this is Dean Winchester. One of the visitors. Dean, this is my roommate, Mary Margaret." Dean nodded and gave an embarrassed hello, rubbing the back of his neck. "Dean was just on his way out."

"Right," Dean said, finally finding his voice. "Nice to meet you. Goodnight again, Emma," he said, giving her a smile before he turned toward the door.

"Goodnight, Dean," she replied, giving him a smile. A genuine smile he definitely earned.

Before the door closed all the way he heard Mary Margaret's voice behind it, "That's not the one Ruby had dibs on, was it?"

Dean laughed, Sammy's definitely hearing that one