Chapter VI: Connection

"Dammit," Emma breathed out, rushing to grab her red jacket from the staircase rail.

Mary Margaret leaned against the back of the kitchen counter, sipping on the hot chocolate she'd just made. "So, where are you going in such a hurry? To see August?" She raised her eye brow and cocked her head suggestively.

Emma had to stop for a second because she realized that Henry did that same expression almost perfectly. Kid's been picking up mannerisms from his teacher, Emma thought, unaware that she made the same expression herself. "See August? No, why would you say that?" Emma couldn't understand why everyone thought there was something going on with her and August.

"Well," she said in her teacher's voice- or did sound more like a motherly voice? "You two have been spending a lot of time of time together. I think he's taken quite a shine to you. That, and when I saw him at Granny's he said something about how he was trying to get a hold of you and that you guys had to talk about something important. He seemed pretty flustered."

Emma scrunched her brow. She'd forgotten all about August wanting to talk to her. Something about a big picture. "Umm, no. I haven't talked to him since right before you called me about Henry. Actually that's who I'm in a rush to go see. Apparently my kid decided to contact these two guys on the internet to help with to help with this curse thing and he brought them here. That's where he ran off to this afternoon, to meet them outside of town and bring them to Granny's."

"Ahh, I heard we had visitors and Regina gave them the once over pretty harsh. According to Ruby they're the epitome of the perfect male specimen. She was really excited when they booked a room at the inn. But are you really surprised that Henry would do something like this? We're talking about the same kid who stole my credit card, found his birth mother on the internet, hitch-hiked to Boston, and brought you here." Mary Margaret: the voice of reason.

Emma laughed, "I don't know where this kid gets his fight against authority from." She smiled, thinking about all the suggestive things she'd done in her past; most of which were not legal. Like mother, like son, she thought. "Anyway, I'm off to pick up to strays at the inn and take them to meet Henry at the station. He told me to meet him there in about 30 minutes and then turned off his talkie before I could object to him sneaking out of the house. I still haven't been able to get a hold of him since then and I don't want him waiting outside of the station alone. If I need any back up, I'll call you- so keep your phone close. I may not having anything against these guys, but I still don't trust them. Especially not with my kid."

She started to walk toward the door when Mary Margaret smiled in agreement. "Oh, Ruby wanted to remind you that she still has dibs on Sam," she said with a giggle.

Emma rolled her eyes and walked out the door.

***

"Dammit," Dean breathed out, throwing his phone on the bed. He tried getting a hold of Cas, but there was no long distance service. "Hurry up in there, Sammy!" he called to his brother who'd been in the shower for about ten minutes. He was getting antsy sitting in the hotel room. It was amazing that this town only had one hotel. Oh right, he thought, no one ever visits. I guess there's no need for more than one hotel in that case. He laughed to himself; still not entirely believing that what the kid was saying was real. Magic? He wasn't convinced. Especially when fairy tale characters were added. He ran his hand through his still damp hair. They were going to check out the town tonight, see if there was anything strange about it.

A knock at the door startled Dean. He threw his knife in his bag and pushed his gun in the back of his pants, then hid anything else that would seem inappropriate. Another knock. "I'm coming," he yelled, wondering if it was that hot waitress looking for Sammy.