Chapter VII: Code Orange

"Emma, wait up!" Dean called out to her as she started down the stairway. She turned around giving him a questionable look. "Um, mind if I catch a ride with you to the station? Sam isn't finished, uh, freshening himself up. He's going to meet us down there when he gets done. I think he wanted to catch a bite to-go, also."

Emma gave him an odd look, not sure if was buying his story. But she decided to go with it, and nodded for him to follow her. Sam was the one she was less wary about; she wasn't sure why, but there was something about him that she felt she could trust. Dean, on the other hand, she was going to keep her eye on. Especially after his crazy talk about hunting monsters. Please don't tell me he's going to be another Jefferson. I can't deal with more than one crazy hostage escape incident, she'd thought when he was going on about his 'job'.

There was something else besides the hunter thing that was giving her a funny feeling about this guy. Especially the way the air had filled with electricity when they were having their stare-off before Sam interrupted them. She felt a strange draw towards him that scared the living shit out of her. She didn't know much about this guy, but deep down she felt some kind of connection towards him. Hopefully, she thought, he won't stick around long enough for me to find out.

It wasn't like Emma was a nun or anything. Like she'd mention to Mary Margaret all those months ago, one night stands were as far she'd ever let it get. And that's how she liked it. Just look at the one time she decided to start letting down her guard with Graham. Graham, she thought, her entire demeanor dropping. She tried not to think about him too much. That's what she got for letting someone get that close for the first time in 10 years. Granted, it wasn't his fault. And Mary Margaret had tried to remind her of that the first couple of weeks when she found Emma drinking her pain away in the middle of the night. He wasn't perfect, but he was sweet and caring and he gave her something no one offered her in quite some time: roots. And he had chosen her, something else that was all too foreign in her life. Graham: her short lived chance of happiness with someone worth-while.

She felt a single tear roll down her cheek before she got the chance to build up the much practiced levee. "Emma?" Dean was sharp; he didn't let much go unnoticed. Something they had in common.

She dropped her head and wiped away the evidence from her cheek before she looked up at him, eye brows raised in question. He seemed to understand her guard, nodding his down in his own question; an unspoken desire to know if she were alright. She gave him a half smile and nodded. This seemed sufficient enough, because he dropped any further questioning. She appreciated that.

When they finally made it outside Dean went straight to a black '67 Impala. "Is that yours?" she asked.

His smile widened as he stroked the roof of his car, "Yes ma'am, my pride and joy. I've just gotta get a bag from the back seat." He opened the door and leaned in. She caught herself watching him bend over. She had to give him one thing: he looked very nice in those old jeans. Her focus snapped back when he pulled out and slammed the door shut carrying a bag and a book. "The kid left his book in the back seat earlier. I guess to ensure we wouldn't leave without seeing him again. Sneaky bastard."

She couldn't contain the wide smile as she thought back to the same move he'd made when he brought her here. Kid has moves.

"I parked over here," she said, walking towards her yellow her bug. She looked back at him when she approached her car, seeing the creased brow and look of 'seriously?' on his face. "Hey! Don't you dare saying about my Baby. This ole girl has been my constant for the last decade and I will not allow anyone to judge her." She pointed her finger in motherly fashion at the smirking Dean.